Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2013, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default No love for QWES gamers (Or other keyboard configs)

I don't know why it's started to bother me more recently than before, But I'm getting tired of keyboards catering specifically to the WASD layout for controls. I have been using the QWES layout since back in the EQ1 release days. With 'forward' being the direction far more traveled, having my fingers in a line along QWE feels much more natural, and fatigues me significantly less over longer play sessions. You also have less finger travel time to hit the number row for any quick changes. It actually surprises me that more people haven't adopted this use. But personal preference is what it is, which is actually my point here. I understand that WASD is the most popular layout, but it's hardly the only one used.

I see keyboards like the K60, that offer a lot of great features and a nice rubber matted key set for gaming; or some of the keyboards that offer isolated LED lighting for gaming keys. These are great options... IF you use the keyboard layout that they define as the appropriate gaming layout. It irks me to no end that in today's age, with peripherals being customized up the wazoo, companies don't go the extra mile to allow for these features to be generalized! Or at least recognize one or two more of the commonly used layouts. How hard would it be to make the rubber keys letter agnostic and swappable? It's not like I'm going to forget what letters those keys are when I put them in place if there's no letter stamped on the top.

I guess this turned in to a rant more than anything else... but I just can't understand why such a simple consideration isn't taken. I know I'm not the only one using an alternate keyboard layout, but perhaps I'm in more of a minority than I think? Either way, some changes would be very simple to make on the manufacturing side and would go a long way towards providing options.

And that's my two cents...
Old June 6, 2013, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Some gamers use their middle finger for the W key (same as arrow keys) which makes WASD the more natural key layout.
Old June 6, 2013, 09:35 AM

My System Specs

I've been using a separate game pad for 7-8 years now. Can't imagine ever going back to a keyboard.

But QWES is just plain weird.
Old June 6, 2013, 10:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Some gamers use their middle finger for the W key (same as arrow keys) which makes WASD the more natural key layout.
Most people use middle for forward, as the middile finger again on most people is longer then their index. I can't say I've ever seen someone using index for WASD, it's always middle as W & S
Old June 6, 2013, 10:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

QWES is actually the default layout for strafe controls in MMO's, which is one of the major reasons I'm surprised more people don't use it. Nobody 'turns' with a keyboard anymore given mouse controls. As for the "middle finger is longer" argument... my middle finger is MAYBE 3/4 of a centimeter longer than my ring finger, so nowhere near the distance between keys on a large keyboard. And that's only when my hand is completely flat... which your hand NEVER is when on a keyboard. When you rest your hands, your 3 fingers rest in an almost perfect line. Consider a typing pose; your fingers rest on ASDF as a natural pose.

I also know that other configurations are used as well. Some people move their keys to the right side of the letter board so they can incorporate the 'enter' key. And still others change the layout to better accommodate left hand usage for the mouse.

Quote:
I've been using a separate game pad for 7-8 years now. Can't imagine ever going back to a keyboard.
I've actually been seriously considering this recently. I know more and more people switching over and loving it.
Old June 6, 2013, 03:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You can always get a daskeyboard and order customized qwes keys.

I actually prefer to use wasd and qe. It was the reason I bought this keyboard, for better anti ghosting.

If you're having trouble reaching a key, make sure you're curling your fingers, so they hit the keys like the hammer on a piano. You can actually train for this by picking up the guitar, and work on your game while shredding some riffs.
Old June 6, 2013, 03:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post

But QWES is just plain weird.
What are you using?

I was a huge fan of the original N52, then they changed it to the black/LEd version with software that I did not like and key were not as responsive.

I'm now on my 2nd G13, works good but not like my old N52 was.
Old June 6, 2013, 04:33 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
What are you using?

I was a huge fan of the original N52, then they changed it to the black/LEd version with software that I did not like and key were not as responsive.

I'm now on my 2nd G13, works good but not like my old N52 was.
Razer Orbweaver. Was using a N52TE before that but it doesn't have enough buttons. And before that a G13, which the thumbstick died. The Razer is the most comfortable plus it is mechancial. The only downsides are that is is very expensive and you need to login/register w/ Razer before you can use it.
Old June 7, 2013, 06:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Cool, I had been wondering about that one, not many reviews out there for keypads...

What do you mean login/register to use it?
Old June 7, 2013, 06:38 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
Cool, I had been wondering about that one, not many reviews out there for keypads...

What do you mean login/register to use it?
If won't work w/o the Razer Synapse software installed. And you can't use Synapse until you login. Which requires you to create an account @ Razer.com. DRM for peripherals . It also stays connected to the Razer servers unless you turn that 'feature' off. At least it starys offline for good once you turn it off.

Last edited by lowfat; June 7, 2013 at 06:49 PM.