Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2013, 03:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Best gaming keyboard (mechanical)?

Which switch do you prefer and why? I'm looking for the perfect gaming switch. Right now i'm using cherry mx blues, and they're beyond awesome.

I was wondering if cherry mx reds would be any better?

Also, are there any mechanical keyboards that are waterproof?
Old May 10, 2013, 04:55 AM
Rookie

No such thing as perfect gaming switches, it all comes down to personnal preference. I game on a filco with mx browns, but I know people who game on blues\reds\blacks(and they hate it)\etc. If I were you I'd go on geekhack and ask for an old board with reds so you can try it, otherwise you can always buy a keyboard from a store and then send it back before 30 days.

Just make sure you don't buy one of the shitty ''gaming'' labeled gaming keyboards, I'd recommend a filco or a cm storm if you don't have the money ( I've seen the storms go as low as 60$ ).
Old May 10, 2013, 05:24 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Tactile and clicky (blues) for me. I also have a keyboard with black switches that gets no use because I just don't like how they feel.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:34 AM

My System Specs

If you are happy w/ your blues I'd say just keep them. They definitely are my switch of choice.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It's just the only complaint I hear about the blues I find not to be true. People say it's too hard to double click them.
Old May 10, 2013, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really don't understand what is so special about the Mechanical Keyboard ( never tried one myself lol).

I am still waiting for the mechanical keyboards to comedown in price I mean come one 100+ for a keyboard for a person like myself that isn't that great of a typer and I don't competivly game online anymore reaction time is just to slow compared to all of those young bucks out there lol.

I read somewhere ( and it is probably wrong) but they were saying that the older ps keyboards were supposedly better for gaming. I am not sure if it is true but I do know that Ilike the feel of the older style Keyboard I really don't like this eclipse I am currently using the keys are so spongy feeling for me
Old May 10, 2013, 03:21 PM
Allstar

^ you can find entry level boards in the 60-70 range. but it's really better to try it out in the store; reading what people have to say about them is meaningless without context.

it's when you go premium brands, specialized layouts (even smaller than TKL etc), and 'gaming' that boards get really expensive.

'gaming' is just a keyword for macro keys and LEDs on the same keyboard. There's nothing special about them except for the fact that they are lower build quality (razer...) but just as expensive as the premium mech brands (filco, etc)
Old May 11, 2013, 04:40 PM
Rookie

I have a Black Widow Stealth edition and love it. It all comes down to personal preference. See if you can try a few types of switches out before you make a decision.
Old May 11, 2013, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I have a Corsair K90 with red switches and I couldn't be happier. All the response and pushback you expect from a mechanical, but without the 'clickiness' of other switches.

I also really like the overall build of this keyboard. The all aluminum construction is great, and the fact that keys are raised and isolated from the backplane makes it WAY easier to clean than any other keyboard I've owned. Individually back-lit keys is a huge plus too...
Old May 11, 2013, 05:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
If you are happy w/ your blues I'd say just keep them.
I would say follow this advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
They definitely are my switch of choice.
I have black, red and blue. Blue are also my favorite switch.