Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2013, 11:00 PM
Allstar

Default Display Cables and my go-bag

I've been trying to reduce the size and weight of my go-bag in recent times. Currently, by far, the most amount of weight and space is taken up by the display cables.

I have DL-DVI, HDMI, and VGA cables along with various adapters for DP/mDP/mHDMI etc.

for all 1080p monitors, I THINK I can get away with using a base HDMI cable and then having adapters for DVI/VGA/DP/mDP/mHDMI. I would start with HDMI because it supports up to 1080p AND sound.

a key point is that everything MUST work properly when the client puts in their permanent cable. eg if I used DVI with hdmi adapters, then the sound might not work because I couldn't test it because the DVI cable can't carry audio.

Is my thinking correct? except in resolution, every other port type is a subset of HDMI (well, HDMI is the only with both audio AND video).

EDIT:

I would also have to carry a DL-DVI cable for 1440p monitors though?
Old February 15, 2013, 07:44 AM
Allstar

It really depends on your situation so it's hard to say what will work best for you. All my clients are in offices so there is always spare monitor cables around. Most of the time it's an abundance of DVI cables and a lack of VGA cables. I'll usually just carry a VGA cable with me and a vga to dvi adapter. I've almost never used HDMI and definitely never for audio so I don't have to worry about that. Mostly because the Dell's and HP's GPU's don't support audio out or the client uses speakers so it's not necessary. As more and more computers are going DVI and display port, I'll probably have to start carrying either a DP adapter or full cable. If there is anything I need I'm able to charge my clients for the time to go out and purchase cables if I don't have spares.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old February 15, 2013, 09:39 PM
Allstar

sometimes I'm called out for HTPC jobs as well, so hdmi is absolutely mandatory for me.

assume the worst case and there are no cables at all. assume because it's already happened more than once.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:54 AM
Allstar

I'm not a huge fan of adapters so I'd rather carry the full cables and only use adapters when absolutely necessary. That being said I'd probably carry 2 HDMI cables (1 if I thought I could get away with it) in 2 different lengths, 1 DP cable, 1 DVI-D, 1 VGA (I just notices at Canada Computers they have ultra thin VGA cables so that will save some weight), and then a couple adapters. That should cover all your bases although that's still 4-5 cables.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old February 16, 2013, 09:32 AM
Allstar

that's pretty much what I'm carrying exactly right now lol
Old February 16, 2013, 10:36 AM
Allstar

Haha, yeah I figured as much. What are you carrying your stuff in as that can make a difference. I tend to stick with backpacks as it just supports weight better. I picked up an Evereki from NCIX when it was half off and love the bag. Tons of pockets and "fur" lined pockets for gadgets, plus a cover for when it rains. I haven't filled it up yet as my last bag was stolen so I'm still missing too many items to determine whether the weight feels lighter when full.