Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2013, 08:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Tell me Why I NEED a Gaming Keyboard

Ok, I'm not a hardcore gamer. I surf a lot and play with photographs in Adobe PS. And I do fly my virtual airplanes with my Thrustmaster Flight Hotas X, and drive my virtual auto's with an Logitech F310.

But I wonder about my old keyboard. I'm using a Microsoft "Digital Media Keyboard" which has a few extra buttons on it, which frankly I seldom use. (Well the volume control is nice). I like the numberic keypad off to the right side which is nice.

But I see these cool looking gamer's keyboards. What are the benefits? Why would I like one? I see they range from cheap of $19 for a Sharkoon Tactix Compact Gaming Keyboardto $329 for a Cyborg STRIKE. (Prices at Memory Express.com). Typically they seem to be $80 - $180 for the bulk of them.

I do have a Razor Death Adder Mouse and I like it. And it looks cool.

Of course I'd want the keyboard to be backlite in Blue like the Death Adder Mouse. I have lots of LED's glowing on and under my desk, but blue seems to be the dominant colour.

So Gamers, sell me on the idea of shelling out extra cash for a gamers Keyboard.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 18, 2013, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am not sure why people use gaming keyboards I haven't noticed any playing difference between even a USB keyboard and the older non usb quality keyboards hehe the only thing that I do like is litup keys because I can't type worth a crap and still look at which keys I am using when typing hehe.
Now I am not saying that there is no difference but to me I think that it is all about the texture or feel when pressing keys. myself I would love to find a aluminum keyboard with lit keys and without the num pad but they ar e next to impossible for me to find at a even half decent price.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

i noticed my 65cdn g15 keyboard is more comfortable and response than 15cdn oem keyboard that i used for 4 years...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Why Gamer Keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I am not sure why people use gaming keyboards I haven't noticed any playing difference between even a USB keyboard and the older non usb quality keyboards hehe the only thing that I do like is litup keys because I can't type worth a crap and still look at which keys I am using when typing hehe.
Now I am not saying that there is no difference but to me I think that it is all about the texture or feel when pressing keys. myself I would love to find a aluminum keyboard with lit keys and without the num pad but they ar e next to impossible for me to find at a even half decent price.
Ok - so this might be in the same category as a designer mouse pad?

As for seeing the keys, the backlight is just for cool factor. Learning proper typing is the one and only thing I learned in High School that I am eternally thankful for, and while I was an honour student acing sciences and maths I nearly flunked out of typing and hated it at the time. I came from the era of manual typewriters and a wicked teacher with a big yard stick used to whack your fingers any time she caught you looking at the keyboard (not that that helped much the school had painted out all the letters so all the keys were black anyway). But pain taught me to type and it is a skill I use everyday.

As for the feel of the keyboard, this M.S. one I have right now is good, keys are responsive and it has a few extra bells and whistles I guess I could learn to use them if I wanted to bother. Windows was able to identify it and load its specific drivers (up side of MS product I guess).

I just want to know what I am missing out on?

I use a big ergonomic mouse at work, along with one of these

I also use the ergonomic MS keyboard which some people hate - I like it, but it is too tall to allow the keyboard tray to close.

I might just end up getting a wireless version of that ergonomic keyboard for home as well. Once you get used to it, it is comfortable and I use it a lot at work. Been good for years of use.

I'm just wondering what these gamer keyboards offer for the dollar they command.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 18, 2013, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

PS2 Keyboard Levenovo 7$ here. :)

Games better than the 100 $ RAZER USB 1.1 I have.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Useally the gamer key boards are built better,but not always true.I like a gameing keyboard because I can set some buttons up to go directly to the web site I want.Some games you need to push more then one button to do something and with a gameing keyboard,you can record how you want the buttons to work,like if you want to press the shift button and the R button and maybe another button,you can just record those button how and in what order.Some of them have a digtal screen so you can watch your tempertures and other setting.But if you never use them button then you really don't need a gameing keyboard.I really don't care about the LCD screen mainly because of price ,but I like haveing the extra buttons and a lighted keyboard,plus my has a built in USB slot so I can plug my mouse right into it.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old January 18, 2013, 09:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

While 'gaming' keyboards used to be the selling factor with all the lights and macro keys, I'd say it's more of a preference for better keys that people suddenly realize they want when switching from . For me personally, switching to a mechanical keyboard I found I made less mistakes and typed about 10wpm faster on a cherry blue type of key. Less activation force compared to my crappy Logitech mx3200 that had a super stiff membrane underneath was a breath of fresh air. I'm using a CM quickfire rapid red which lacks the gaming features found on more fanciful keyboards hasn't really been a problem.

However, if you really don't type all that much I don't really think it'd be justified to switch to a mech keyboard or invest in a gaming keyboard in general if what you're using at the moment is working fine. You might want to take a look at the types of mechanical keys/keyboards at a store and see if you prefer a particular type.

tl;dr don't buy a (membrane) gaming keybaord, buy a mech keyboard that fits your needs

edit: also, autohotkey can do a lot of those fancy keyboard functions

Old January 19, 2013, 04:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used the Logitech Illuminated prior to buying the BlackWidow Ultimate. Only reason for the switch is the mechanical keys

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old January 19, 2013, 05:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I switched to a Corsair K90 from a Logitech g15 and I have noticed a huge difference in responsiveness while gaming and typing. I'll never have another membrane keyboard as long as i live lol
Old January 19, 2013, 06:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ya just find over time that my keyboards get slower or miss a key while playing, could be the hundreds of packs of smokes and dropping ashes on them I would assume, plain wear and tear combination. Me I can't type worth a shit and that's with seeing the keys (back-lit), so for me back-lighting is important.

Now we move onto mechanical keyboards from old but hardly any come with pS2 connections anymore like the old days. Those u could rollover the whole keyboard, now today everything is usb and only 6 key rollover is the limit, sept for corsair that apparently has figured how too double this, though there keyboards seem to me too have too many bugs and miss shit even before the 600 packs of smokes gets into them ;).

Yesterday went shopping for a new keyboard my razor has had its time and pissed me off too many times now and replaced it with cooler master storm trigger, with brown switches.. They make 4 types of switches for this $120 keyboard and it is a preference thing, so go out and try them. Cherry red mx switches are popular black is the least popular brown a middle ground between gaming and typing... small tactile hump on it, more travel though they say, black the longest travel red the least... U should try them first.. Now these bitches are red in colour and I mean red, didn't see any blues...

Now your running a razor now ie: mouse, logical choice would be the ultimate mechanical black widow keyboard for u, me had enough of razor, wanted something more real... Other than great advertising, find them too busy these days and not making products like they used too... Anyway not wanting to go into a rant but basically u should get mechanical if buying today and check them out as far as preference, your feel for the keys that u prefer...

Have used blue, cherry and brown switch based keyboards like this brown the best so far and they are a little less noisy than my previous mech keyboards...