Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2013, 09:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I really doubt that usb3 would make a difference to a gaming keyboard.... they can barely saturate usb2 as it is.... Win 8 however, well seeing as the adoption rate is lower than when vista came out that probably answers that question
Old January 25, 2013, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

USB 3 for a keyboard... How feggin fast can you type? ps/2 is still good enough for most people, absolutely no need bar a huge gimmik to get a keyboard that states it's USB 3

Windows 8, you need to check if any of the boards need a driver (for the extra keys, etc etc like a mouse) and if it does make sure they have a Win 8 version, other than that it'll be plug and play
Old January 25, 2013, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You NEED a gaming keyboard to settle any doubt in your mind that your hardware is what is causing you to get pwned all the time.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhatPaulie View Post
I really doubt that usb3 would make a difference to a gaming keyboard.... they can barely saturate usb2 as it is.... Win 8 however, well seeing as the adoption rate is lower than when vista came out that probably answers that question

If the keyboard has a pass through USB connection then maybe running both the keyboard plus whatever you plug into that extra USB port(s) would take advantage of the USB3. Besides I've got these USB3 ports on my new rig and nothing USB3 to plug into them.

RE: Win8 ~ I'm hoping that in due time more and more stuff and programs will be Win8 compatible. I can dream.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 25, 2013, 01:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have a G110 and I don't know :P, aesthetics? Generally they are of a higher build quality (no defect keys, no keys popping out, no letters fading out), there is anti-ghosting on it, it feels better (but that is subjective). They also have macro keys and the G110 has that Windows-disable-key thing, which is very useful in windows 8 :P

Don't forget the lights!! :D
Old January 25, 2013, 10:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I just recently switched to a G710+ My last few keyboards were G510, G110, Razer Lycosa, multitude of MS and logitech keybo/mouse combos.

Of those, my favourite was the G110. In comparison the G710 does type much much nicer. The keystrokes are solid which really does help with missed/extra keystrokes. I ran about 50 typeracer runs and averaged around 58-62wpm on my G510. After using the G710+ for a few weeks, I ran another typeracer runs and averaged more like 66-72.

Also, I was find that I needed the anti=ghosting as certain scenarios weren't working out well for me. IE: flying a chopper in BF3 with all keybo controls.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old January 26, 2013, 06:07 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I'm on my second Logitech G15(first was replaced for worn keys), still going good after all these years with no need to replace despite being membrane.

Don't use macros, sometimes use the media keys, never look at the display. The backlit keys are one thing I would never give up.

I'll probably move to a G710 when MemEx gets stock just to go mechanical.

Old January 26, 2013, 12:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'll be honest,im gonna answer to the thread and say what i experienced.I tested a few gaming keyboards,i find them useless,actually,it's really overpriced,OK,you have a nicer touch and little lights,but it's plain gadget for me,i'm now using a microsoft curve (15$) and it's as good as a 300$ keyboard for me,ok,no lights ,no super cool touch;but the keys respond perfectly,i don't see the point wasting 100$ in a keyboard,maybe for no-life gamers?? Seriously,gaming mouse,YES,keyboard,pay 100x more for programmable keys you don't need,even in MMO's and little lights. A gaming keyboard won't help you to be a better gamer,as long as you don't have stuck keys ,keep your keyboard.

Last words,they are better and cool but it's not worth the price at all for a sweet piece of plastic.

Mechanical?other types? Seriously,it feels different,but anyway i even think my microsoft curve is better because it feels more like a notebook keyboard...It's a matter of taste...
Old January 26, 2013, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
You NEED a gaming keyboard to settle any doubt in your mind that your hardware is what is causing you to get pwned all the time.
hahaha ya that is what I used to think when I was playing in the High-mid level ET clan and we played against an alpha clan which consisted of smurph players ( players pretending to be some one else) from the best clans and got totally pawned lol of course at the time I had thought that it was my gear and also because my ping was 100 average but later I found out that all the players were top elite players from top elite clans that just like I said smurphed and played at our level needless to say the gear did squat diddly
Old January 26, 2013, 05:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
I'll be honest,im gonna answer to the thread and say what i experienced.I tested a few gaming keyboards,i find them useless,actually,it's really overpriced,OK,you have a nicer touch and little lights,but it's plain gadget for me,i'm now using a microsoft curve (15$) and it's as good as a 300$ keyboard for me,ok,no lights ,no super cool touch;but the keys respond perfectly,i don't see the point wasting 100$ in a keyboard,maybe for no-life gamers?? Seriously,gaming mouse,YES,keyboard,pay 100x more for programmable keys you don't need,even in MMO's and little lights. A gaming keyboard won't help you to be a better gamer,as long as you don't have stuck keys ,keep your keyboard.

Last words,they are better and cool but it's not worth the price at all for a sweet piece of plastic.

Mechanical?other types? Seriously,it feels different,but anyway i even think my microsoft curve is better because it feels more like a notebook keyboard...It's a matter of taste...
Agree with about half of this.. I'll never spend silly money on a board. But the macro buttons are not useless to many people and the difference in feel is very noticeable.

This (or the brown variant) would be ideal for me... no bells no whistles but still WAY overpriced.
Linear Touch Keyboard - elitekeyboards.com - Products

Go straight to the source and buy a keyboard from cherry themselves. I have a $20 dollar cherry board and am well impressed.
It's actually membrane based, but the feel is actually spot on and quite similar to the mechanical.. Cherry Black CyMotion Expert (USB/PS2) Keyboard - Black [G86-22000]
There are no back-lighting / macro keys etc etc but after nearly 3 years of use it's still as solid as the day I bought it.
The letters have a very slight fade on them and the keystrokes are still better than any other keayboard I've used in a LONG time with the exception of the silly priced gaming ones with mech switches.
I'm sure with time on your side you can find which of their boards they put your preferred switch into.