Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2013, 10:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

you dont NEED a gaming keyboard... You NEED a mechanical keyboard ;)
I game on a blackwidow ultimate, and a CM storm quickfire. I like the quickfire more than my blackwidow in most cases, except that its not backlit.

I'm a university student too, so the mech keys definitely help typing.

Mech keys can be tactile, linear, responsive feedback, or dead silent. I like blues and browns personally.

Blues are clicky and tactile, while browns are tactile and silent.

With mech keys you can do double/triple presses MUCH easier than on a membrane board. I find that it generally improves my speed overall. When i am on my laptop with its crappy chicklet keys, I find my fingers are more fatigued than when im typing on my over keyboards.

hope this helps :)
Old January 19, 2013, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Paint me crazy but I prefer a membrane keyboard, granted it's not too resistant.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

being a hard core gamer & after trying several different keyboards...my favorite is the Saitek Eclipse II. You want it back lit with blue...this keyboard has 3 colors...blue, red, & a bright pinky-mauve. I've found that expensive is not necessarily better. i've got a brand new Logitech Gaming keyboard G510 & it sucks...not bright enough...will probably just keep it as a spare along with everything else i buy and seldom bother going through the trouble of returning.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Paint me crazy but I prefer a membrane keyboard, granted it's not too resistant.
I think you just need to play around with some different switches and you'll find something that you'll like better, not to mention things will be more responsive.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:17 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

To the OP, you don't NEED a gaming keyboard especially if you're just surfing. But you'll feel the same way that you do about your Death Adder. You just like it, and it looks good.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:01 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

macro keys for rpg/rts, and back lit for the fansy. also maybe you can press like 5 or more keys at the same time
Old January 24, 2013, 01:46 AM
Trial Member

My System Specs

Corsair Vengeance K60: The K60 from Corsair is part of the Vengeance keyboard line-up and marks Corsairís entry into the gaming keyboard space. The K60 features Cherry MX Red keys for the best response in games as well as specially contoured and textured WSAD and numeric keys from 1-6.
Is that keyboard what i have now. Its Fabulous and awesome while playing games like COD and MW3.
Old January 24, 2013, 03:19 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Has no back lighting and a few kinks still.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:59 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I use a G15 that i have had for 6 years, i love the way that the keys are spaced out, do i need a gaming keyboard? not really I just like it.

I do see the need for a gaming mouse tho, i hate using non gaming ones, to unresponsive.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, I'll have to see where I can try out a few of these mechanical keyboards somewhere. I've got no idea whether this MS keyboard is membrain or mechanical, the keys do bounce and rrrrepeating keys is not a problem. Given I'm not into the point and kill games but rather flight sims and auto racing maybe a keyboard designed for FPS is not the best choice. The idea of programmable keys does appeal to me, some of the key combinations in the flight sims are a pain to remember. I should hang out at the FlightSim forum and see what keyboard advice those virtual aviators have.

As for the cool factor, hard to put a price on that.

Thanks for the advice, I'll post a picture of any new keyboard I do decide on, but it might be the boring MS ergonomic corporal tunnel fighting split keyboard I have at work, ... and its only $44.00.

I also noticed none of the keyboard I looked at on line at Memory Express are USB 3 yet, nor did any of them mention Win8. Maybe I should wait a year and see if keyboard makers catch up with today's machines.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig