Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2012, 10:35 AM
Rookie

Default Headset Issues

Hello everyone. I am looking for a new headset for my computer things that are a must is a good sounding microphone that doesn't take in the noise of all the surroundings (computer fans, etc), and it sounds decent.

I have recently picked up a Steelseries 7H USB. It sounds pretty amazing but for some reason the microphone on it is just awful. It sounds great without mic boost at 30 db but you basically can't hear it. You have to turn mic boost on full to hear anything and then it sounds really bad. This happens with both the USB sound card that it came with and connecting directly to my built in sound card.

I thought it would be important to note that I have an onboard sound card of Realtek® ALC892 and I don't plan to buy a soundcard but I will if I need it.

I was thinking of returning the ss 7H and purchasing a Sennheiser PC350. What do you guys think? Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks
Old December 27, 2012, 11:17 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Get the pc350 , you wont be dissapointed. I did the same upgrade years ago and never looked back.
Old December 28, 2012, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

are you good with tool's ?.........add a 20k linear pot to mic wires or

make stereo 1/8 male to 20k pot to 1/8 female connector so you can dial in the sweet spot

plug in to mic port of computer them pot
Attached Images

Old December 28, 2012, 01:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer265@ View Post
Get the pc350 , you wont be dissapointed. I did the same upgrade years ago and never looked back.
Okay. I went and got the PC350's and I love them. The only downside is that again the mic is pretty quiet. It isn't nearly as quiet as the 7H headset but it is still pretty quiet. I can resolve the issue by turning on mic boost but that causes a lot of static and background noise on the mic. I was wondering if this could possibly be an issue with my onboard sound? If so, do you think getting this would help at all? Newegg.ca - ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

Thanks!