Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2012, 04:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I was set against a mech board for many many years, finally went out and snagged a brown switched coolermaster storm quickfire pro. Now , I am almost pained to do more then a few key strokes on my good friends razer lycosa. Tried out a few other mech switches(black was to loud, didn't like the feel of blue, and didn't like reds) and fell head over heels for my browns after i learned to only press the keys half way down.(bumping)
Old December 11, 2012, 08:35 AM
Rookie

I am a really big fan of what Cooler Master has been doing with their keyboards, they have a model for almost every budget, so I would recommend you check them out. In particular, I'd recommend the CM Storm Trigger in Cherry Brown, but CM offers it in almost every switch color (including green). Here's a dandy link to their store:

CM Store - Gaming Keyboards

I'd recommend it over the CM Quickfire Pro, simply because it just has more features and your budget is $130. The Trigger is the best offering CM has right now and it's on par with the BlackWidow and K90 / M90, but it's typically cheaper to buy. You can get it for as low as $100 if you can find it on sale, but it's about $120 regular.

If you don't mind spending a little more, I would recommend the Logitech G710+ over everything else. It's the best mechanical KB on the market right now in my opinion. It's $160 regular but you get pretty much every feature you could ever want on a KB. The only thing it's missing versus what membrane KBs have been offering is a screen integrated with the KB, but that's the only thing it's missing.

For the record, I own the Trigger and G710+, both are amazing keyboards.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
MVP

i owned a razer bw ultimate when they first come out i got all gung hoe and bought one.

it was loud but i didnt care.. the keys wernt quite as smooth as i liked either the space bar ended up kinking and then i spilled a tad of fizzed over diet pepsi on it and it died.

couldnt find reciept couldnt rma. went back to logitech have had no issues with my membrain kbd since. tbh i cant remember a logitech product ive ever really had issues like that with. my g15 is at work now heck ive spilled like whole drinks on that thing 100x over. had a mx510 for like 10 years or more and its still going on a guest pc.

all my razer mice are dead or the rubber fell off or something i use my razerboomslang LE 2007 on my bench rig now cuz the rubber on the thumbs fell off. and my nagga double clicks so its in my desk and my DA3.5 sensor stoped so its in the dump.

not turning this into a fanboy fest just keep thinking to me when i pay 100+$ for something i dont want to have it break just after 2 year warranty is out which has happened with razer sofar 4x with me thats like 400ish $ i could have saved.

filco looks to be solid and they make kbds for gamers.

the Logitech 710 looks to be a great keyboard a bit pricey but if they put the same quality they put into other items ive bought from them it should last awhile not sure if i like that orange ring tho. i liked the thought of quite brown keys on that.

Steelseries seems to have a nice and yet again expensive ish keyboard but I've heard good things.

if i was to go expensive mech again Im going for something that i will have faith wont die in 1-2years on me i forgot to mention my razer bw ultimate leds were flickering and dieing as well about 10 in total were doing it i had to set them to pulse so they semi worked.

just sayin razer is cheapchit.
2500k @ 4.7GHz -work/Spare
3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
SF101 HW BOT
GPU's ("xfire"2x XFX290X@1150/1500"EKWB"|GIGAOC7970WF3@1250/1850|Asus480GTX@900/2000|
2xEvga260Core216's SLI in HTPC-Retired gpu's 9600ati|9800proATI|8800GTS"320mb&640mb"
|8800GTX|9800GT|9800GX2
Old December 11, 2012, 11:09 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
for a really good non-mech keyboard you should look at the Saitek Eclipse II. It's on for $51.87 right now at amazon.ca I've had mine for around 5 years and it's still as good as when I got it. I have several keyboards in all price ranges but use my Saitek strictly for gaming and I do a lot of gaming...FPS. You've got 3 key colors...red, blue & a bright purple\lilac.
just rma'd a saitek eclipse lite or something, it was terrible plus it didnt work at all and their drivers are brutal. my brother has an eclipse 2 and loves it but i dont think its for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
I was set against a mech board for many many years, finally went out and snagged a brown switched coolermaster storm quickfire pro. Now , I am almost pained to do more then a few key strokes on my good friends razer lycosa. Tried out a few other mech switches(black was to loud, didn't like the feel of blue, and didn't like reds) and fell head over heels for my browns after i learned to only press the keys half way down.(bumping)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelPack View Post
I am a really big fan of what Cooler Master has been doing with their keyboards, they have a model for almost every budget, so I would recommend you check them out. In particular, I'd recommend the CM Storm Trigger in Cherry Brown, but CM offers it in almost every switch color (including green). Here's a dandy link to their store:

CM Store - Gaming Keyboards

I'd recommend it over the CM Quickfire Pro, simply because it just has more features and your budget is $130. The Trigger is the best offering CM has right now and it's on par with the BlackWidow and K90 / M90, but it's typically cheaper to buy. You can get it for as low as $100 if you can find it on sale, but it's about $120 regular.

If you don't mind spending a little more, I would recommend the Logitech G710+ over everything else. It's the best mechanical KB on the market right now in my opinion. It's $160 regular but you get pretty much every feature you could ever want on a KB. The only thing it's missing versus what membrane KBs have been offering is a screen integrated with the KB, but that's the only thing it's missing.

For the record, I own the Trigger and G710+, both are amazing keyboards.
thanks guys ill check out the cms.
@joelpack have you had problems with any of the leds on the logitech board? i was set to pick this one up then heard about all the troubles people are having with the leds not working after just a couple days.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:01 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchby View Post
@joelpack have you had problems with any of the leds on the logitech board? i was set to pick this one up then heard about all the troubles people are having with the leds not working after just a couple days.
I heard the same thing about the G710+, I haven't had any problems myself but some people said it could take upwards of a month to take effect. I have no idea what the failure rate is, but assuming the LEDs don't fail, it's the best out there to me (forgetting the $300 plus boards like the strike 7 that have screens).

When I bought the CM Trigger about 6 months ago I did a ton of research on all the gaming mechanicals out there, and in one way or another almost every gaming KB has some kind of flaw or potential failure. I assume it's because there's a lot more that can go wrong when you throw all these bells and whistles in. Personally though, my household has 4 mechanical keyboards and I haven't had a single failure or issue with any of them.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

anyone know what the warranty is for the gigabyte osmium?
Old December 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchby View Post
anyone know what the warranty is for the gigabyte osmium?
I believe it's 1 year. I think I paid for an extra 2 or 3 year just in case something happens. I can check the info still in the box when I get home.

[edit] I checked the box and no warranty info within. But their website stipulates 12 months on all their products.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB

Last edited by Signal2Noise; December 14, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Just saw this video from Linus about the CM Storm Quickfire. Looks pretty decent and the backlight looks awesome. $94 @ NCIX.

CM Storm Quickfire TK Mechanical Keyboard Unboxing & First Look Linus Tech Tips - YouTube
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old December 14, 2012, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I was in Future Shop,and found a Logitech G 510 on the shelf,so I bought it. It's not mechanical,but it's what I prefer. So far,so good. After I fool around with it for a while,I'll report any issues.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old December 16, 2012, 03:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal2Noise View Post
I believe it's 1 year. I think I paid for an extra 2 or 3 year just in case something happens. I can check the info still in the box when I get home.

[edit] I checked the box and no warranty info within. But their website stipulates 12 months on all their products.
a couple reviews ive seen have stated that typing accuracy can be hit and miss because the keys are so sensitive. have you experienced any accidental double tapping of keys or inexplicable typos?