Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2012, 05:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchby View Post
anything but green led. macro keys arent needed but dedicated media controls are nice to have. numpad yes and brown or black preferably.

i think the 710 uses brown switches.
That narrows it down quite a bit.

Sounds like the Logitech 710 is the winner, but runs about $160. The K90 meets all your requirements except it has red keys but can be had for $120.

I think that's it for media controls, though several others have "function" media controls. The normal razer blackwidow and Mionix Ziabal 60 are nice but are backlit green. The razer blackwidow BF3 version is backlit orange if you don't mind the BF3 scheme.

The CM storm quickfire pro looks interesting, but is only partially backlit.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old November 30, 2012, 11:34 AM
Rookie

I don't know a thing about gaming keyboards. But I keep reading about Filco Majestouch 2 series. When on sale at NCIX they are in your price range.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
That narrows it down quite a bit.

Sounds like the Logitech 710 is the winner, but runs about $160. The K90 meets all your requirements except it has red keys but can be had for $120.

I think that's it for media controls, though several others have "function" media controls. The normal razer blackwidow and Mionix Ziabal 60 are nice but are backlit green. The razer blackwidow BF3 version is backlit orange if you don't mind the BF3 scheme.

The CM storm quickfire pro looks interesting, but is only partially backlit.
thanks for the input. i like razer's hardware, i own a mamba and its been good to me for the last two years. its their software ive never been too fond of.

feedback is slowly coming in on the 710 and apparently theyre having problems with the leds. some people have had them die within days of buying the keyboard, maybe i better not jump on this one yet. :P

one other feature i forgot to mention was a usb hub and audio jacks for my headphones.

as far as media keys go i guess they dont have to be actual media keys. if it has "gaming keys" or function keys i could just remap them...
Old November 30, 2012, 11:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

can't really beat this deal for a Blackwidow Ultimate. $40!!!

Razer Dragon Age II Bundle w/ BlackWidow Ultimate Gaming Keyboard, Messenger Bag at Memory Express

except it is DA2 branded. oh well.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Too bad it's out of stock.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:43 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
can't really beat this deal for a Blackwidow Ultimate. $40!!!

Razer Dragon Age II Bundle w/ BlackWidow Ultimate Gaming Keyboard, Messenger Bag at Memory Express

except it is DA2 branded. oh well.
pretty sure it uses blue switches too which ive never tried but from reading about them i can tell its not what i want.

Last edited by snatchby; December 1, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old December 8, 2012, 11:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I'll chime in. I recently decided to venture into the world of mechanical gaming keyboards. My first purchase several weeks ago was the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate (non-2013 model) kb. First, the drivers/firmware needed for this keyboard wreaked havoc on my system. With some trial and error I got it working properly. The most annoying thing about the Razer is all the macros & settings are stored on Razer's cloud, called Synapse, so you must have an online account with them and be logged in to get full feature KB functionality. I also did not like the shiny piano-black finish of the keyboard or the character fonts on the keys . So I returned it after a weekend with it.

I was going to pick up the Corsair K90 to try based on reviews but when I saw it in person I thought it looked butt-ugly. I didn't want to turn my desk into some futuristic tank cockpit. Sitting near the K90 @ the store was a keyboard I never saw before, Gigabyte's Aivia Osmium. I asked the compstoredude if he could open it up so I could take a look and when he did I was impressed. I ended up buying it and couldn't be happier with it. Keys are relatively quiet, compared to the Blackwidow, it looks good, feels great, and it's nice having both USB 2 and 3 pass-thru ports on the kb. I highly recommend it if anyone is in the market and haven't considered Gigabyte for keyboards.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old December 8, 2012, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm sending my Razer BW Ultimate back. I didn't know mechanical keyboards were so damn noisy. I could hear the clank clank noise over my headphones. I prefer smooth and quiet.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old December 8, 2012, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchby View Post
pretty sure it uses blue switches too which ive never tried but from reading about them i can tell its not what i want.
You should check out the Alienware TactX Keyboard. Every color under the sun,and VERY good quality. I think they sell for about $80. Non mechanical. Nice and quiet.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old December 8, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I'm sending my Razer BW Ultimate back. I didn't know mechanical keyboards were so damn noisy. I could hear the clank clank noise over my headphones. I prefer smooth and quiet.
Yeah IF yours uses "blues" the click can be loud...BUT the CLACK is a simple fix:
Cherry MX Rubber O-Ring Switch Dampeners (125pcs) - Keyboard Accessories - Products

Buy em. Use em. Love em. As you are most likely bottoming out the keys. As an added bonus the bumpers will make them feel much nicer;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr