Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2012, 09:12 PM
Allstar

I have read some reviews that the Saitek stuff break very quickly.
Old October 23, 2012, 09:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I just found an old SB Live PCI sound card which has a 15 pin game port on it in my box of goodies. Let me know if you want it. Just cover shipping.
I don't think my new F2A85-M PRO motherboard supports PCI it has four PCIe slots

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1

I'm a rookie at this hobby of building PC's but I don't think a PCI card fits into a PCIe slot. Am I wrong about that? If it will support it then I might just try out your card. Someone who knows these things let me know.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nope, your board won't take a PCI card. No big deal, thought I'd offer it up seeing as I came across it tonight looking for something else.
Old October 24, 2012, 02:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Leaning towards that Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X

Newegg.com - THRUSTMASTER T.Flight Hotas X

Although there are lots of happy Logitech 3D Stick users. I think I'd like the throttle in one hand and the steering in another. Most of the reviews on Newegg.com were of the "great Hotas for Sim Flights - for the price". The next step up for this kinda stick is two or three times the price. Good place to start and if I 'get into" flight sims then I'll ask Santa for one of those whole systems like the $320 Logitech (942-000011) Flight System G940 Canada Computers | Gaming | Logitech (942-000011) Flight System G940 or the a CH system with $230 yoke CH Products Eclipse Yoke at Memory Express + $139 for CH pedals CH Products Pro Pedals at Memory Express and then a throttle for another $130 CH Products Pro Throttle USB at Memory Express so $500 altogether, and of course I'd need a third monitor to give me the front and two side views from my "cockpit". ... but for now the $47 Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X should give me a taste of what could be. I might not even get "into" this flight sim 'hobby'. And I'll have to see how well my new A10 rig works out with the new games anyway. I think it will have enough horsepower to drive what I want but time will tell.
Old October 24, 2012, 02:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
I have read some reviews that the Saitek stuff break very quickly.
I've noticed that too - and at twice the price of the Thrustmaster T-Flight X for their basic X52 I'm not sure it is worth the extra cash. I'm told there are a few more buttons on the X52 but for more than twice the money I'd want more than another couple of programmable buttons and lots of blue LED's to light up my desk. It does look cool on those Youtube reviews though.

Any satisified Saitek X52 users out there who want to jump into this discussion? At $108 on Amazon it is at the top end of what I want to pay.
Old October 24, 2012, 02:27 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've been using Saitek Pro Flight gear for years, with no issues. System consists of:

Yoke with throttle / mixture / prop control: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System 14 Button With Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant & Integrated USB Hub
Rudder pedals: Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals SELF-CENTERING Pedals With Adjustable Foot Rest USB
Switch Panel: Saitek Pro Flight Switch Panel
Multi switch Panel: Saitek PZ70 Pro Flight Multi Switch Panel
Radio Panel: Saitek PZ69 Pro Flight Radio Panel

I'll probably spend a few bucks and install 2 instrument LCD panels, for shit and giggles: Saitek Pro Flight Instrument Panel Color LCD Displays Instrument USB
Yeah, I'm deep 'in to' this hobby.
Old October 24, 2012, 04:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I've been using Saitek Pro Flight gear for years, with no issues. System consists of:

Yoke with throttle / mixture / prop control: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System 14 Button With Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant & Integrated USB Hub
Rudder pedals: Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals SELF-CENTERING Pedals With Adjustable Foot Rest USB
Switch Panel: Saitek Pro Flight Switch Panel
Multi switch Panel: Saitek PZ70 Pro Flight Multi Switch Panel
Radio Panel: Saitek PZ69 Pro Flight Radio Panel

I'll probably spend a few bucks and install 2 instrument LCD panels, for shit and giggles: Saitek Pro Flight Instrument Panel Color LCD Displays Instrument USB
Yeah, I'm deep 'in to' this hobby.

WOW - that is one load of stuff to create your cockpit - should post a picture of your set up.

IF I went for the Yoke System only, would I be able to fly without the pedals too, in other words can I buy this in pieces and build up my system? It is $20 more than the X52 system - but looks a little more cockpit-ish.
Old October 24, 2012, 04:18 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You sure can fly without the pedals. Just reduce the wind factor in-game, or use the auto-rudder feature.

It is indeed more commercial / GA cockpit feel vs. the fighter stick-style of the TM and the X52. It's a question of preference.
I used to have the older HOTAS Saitek model (before the X52), and I really like the yoke feel a whole lot more.
Old October 24, 2012, 10:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

This doesn't help - now I have four items in the running - Logitech's 3D joystick, Thrustmaster Hotas X, X52 or the Saitek Flight Pro Yoke. Decisions - from $32 to $130.... I'll have to sleep on this a little more. The joysticks do have the advantage of being useful in other games. Can you use the flight yoke for driving games like a steering wheel? I've got Dirt3 coming in too. Bought a half dozen or so games for my new A10 RIG - which I'm using for the first time tonight :) !!! It works, it works, ... but lots of configuring and reloading to do.
Old October 26, 2012, 03:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

And the winner is .... Thrustmasters Hotax X $47 on Amazon.ca It received lots of great reviews all over the web. Will let you know how it 'flies" for me.