Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Peripherals (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/)
-   -   Laser Printer Advice (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/56528-laser-printer-advice.html)

Arinoth September 5, 2012 08:46 AM

Laser Printer Advice

Going into my final year at university I know I'm going to be needing to print quite a bit of lab reports, or reports in general, typically in black in white so I was thinking of getting a laser printer.

My all in one ink jet printer is alright but it obviously goes through ink alot faster then a laser.

I was thinking of keeping the all in one to allow me to scan/copy/fax/print colour documents and use the laser printer for black and white. What would be a relatively inexpensive but fairly good yield per cartridge printer?

sswilson September 5, 2012 08:49 AM

One of the small samsungs. ;) 2K+ prints for under $60 / toner cart.

Samsung ML-2955ND Laser Printer 29PPM 1200dpi Duplex Network USB2.0 - Samsung - ML-2955ND/XAA

$70 for a duplex network laser is amazing! (IMO).

bonanza2000 September 5, 2012 10:08 AM

I like the Brother 5000 series laser printers that use the TN-650 high yield cartridges. The yield is 8000 pages and you can find them for under $100. This is much better than others when you cost compare over 100,000 printed pages. The toner is going to be an ongoing expense so saving $20 on a printer will quickly be lost overspending on the toner.

The HL-5340 printer will duplex and the HL-5470DW will duplex, wifi, network etc.

SKYMTL September 5, 2012 10:42 AM

I'll second the Samsung. I've had one for about 5 years now and it's still going strong printing a good 100 pages per week.

I have the older generation of this one: Samsung SCX-4729FW Monochrome Multifunction Laser Printer P/C/S/F 28PPM 1200dpi USB2.0 WLAN - Samsung - SCX-4729FW/XAA

Keywork September 5, 2012 10:58 AM

I have a Brother 2170W which has been going strong for ~4 years and i'm still on the original toner. It's very similar in design to the above Samsung's (besides no duplex :( ) and i've had zero problems with it.

CroSsFiRe2009 September 5, 2012 11:26 AM

That $70 Samsung linked above looks good and doesn't look too bulky. I'm currently using this Staples Brother 7065DN with duplex and network printing and it's been pretty good other than a slightly noisy fan when printing. You can probably stack a $15 coupon on it too. High capacity (2500sheet) toner goes for $30 at 123inkcartridges so refills are cheap

Keywork September 5, 2012 02:56 PM

I would get that ^^ for $100. Hell of a price for a solid printer.

3.0charlie September 5, 2012 02:59 PM

I third the Sammy (been using a ML-2010 for so long it's not funny) but the Brother models are pretty darn good too.

grinder September 5, 2012 08:22 PM

splitting hairs between the Samsung and Brother at that price point, (both are excellent BTW). Maybe the cost of toner between the two will be the deciding factor?

BlueByte September 5, 2012 08:53 PM

Apparently I am a wrench into the gears, 4th the Samsung if you are a light duty. Past that I have always liked HP lasers, my only grip in the past has been the host based printer drivers and remote desktop.

I can not say enough bad things about brother, I hate printers to begin with but the lack of driver support and shoddy products make me point people into any other direction other then brother.

*Oh Brother*

</rage rant>