Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9, 2012, 12:38 PM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Default BLUETOOTH!

so as i was filling out a job application today, and decided to use these two blue tooth dongles i have laying around. havent used them in a long time and you know what?

ITS PRETTY FRIGGIN AWESOME! makes me want to buy more of those dongles! even throw one on my server! hotdamnitrocks.

i just took a picture of my cert and stuff and it transfers to my computer.

also found that the job app doesnt take jpeg so i downloaded a copy of my cert from comptia in pdf and then transferred that to my desktop.

did i mention i want to throw one on my server so i wont have to deal with flash drives or mapped drives?

im so physced out about it right now. i even found i could use my mic and speakers to make calls on my cellphone using bluetooth!

anyone ever use Bluetooth? hows it work out for you?
Old August 9, 2012, 12:49 PM
Top Prospect

Bluetooth in a word? Slow.

I can't say I'm really seeing the advantage of Bluetooth in this case that standard wired/wireless networking equipment wouldn't give you. Bluetooth is slower (a LOT slower) and generally more of a pain to configure than standard network gear, especially considering it is Point to Point only.

Really the only advantage Bluetooth offers in my books is for certain peripherals and devices (ie: handsfree for phones and if your laptop has a BT adapter, a mouse can be handy with it.) It's also a giant battery drain on these devices and I leave it turned off 99% of the time.
Old August 9, 2012, 02:13 PM
Gameman Advanced Kid

NO. NOT ANYMORE.

The power of Bluetooth 4.0: It'll change your life | Mobile - CNET News

keep up with the times. yo.
Old August 9, 2012, 03:42 PM
Top Prospect

I consider 26mbps incredibly slow myself. That said I consider my gigabit network quite slow, and am already considering an upgrade to 10gbps. Also note that the claimed 26mbps is theoretical, and as with most wireless techs you are much more likely to see around half that in real term throughput, leaving us with a mere 13mbps.
To compare that with even a standard 2x2 MIMO 802.11n access point on the 5Ghz band, which has a theoretical throughput of 300mbps or with a 3x3MIMO AP at 450mbps; 26mbps is painfully slow. None of this even brings into consideration the new 802.11ac which increases speeds even further.

Ease of connectivity has definitely improved over the days of old, however it is still more complicated than plugging in your ethernet cable and starting your transfer.

Battery life is also improved, but I still lose ~2-3 hours of battery life of my cell if I leave the BT radio turned on, even when it isn't even paired to anything. Battery life drops further (although not much) if I actually pair it to something, and a lot further if I actively use that connection. That said my cell doesn't have Bluetooth v4, so battery life there could be improved for sure. Still way too slow for anything other than peripherals though.
Old August 9, 2012, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

CAPS LOCK!
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old August 10, 2012, 08:41 PM
Top Prospect

hahah
Old August 14, 2012, 05:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah I just move everything using a shared network folder... The call thing with you computer mic is nice especially considering i wouldnt have to take off my headset if someone called though.

Definately has some nifty uses but I agree file transfers would be superslow.
Old August 16, 2012, 07:56 AM
Gameman Advanced Kid

i actually find it useful for "real quick" file transfers.

would be cool if i could use other goodies with it ^^
Old August 16, 2012, 08:15 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameman Advanced Kid View Post
i actually find it useful for "real quick" file transfers.

would be cool if i could use other goodies with it ^^
Yeah its slow speed isn't going to be much of an issue with very small file sizes, however I'm still not seeing any advantage in using bluetooth over your regular network.

For me transferring a file consists of a cut/copy on the file I want to copy, a click on my fileserver shortcut under favourites in explorer, and if its just a quick transfer between the two a paste right in the root (if I intend to keep the file long term, navigate to the appropriate folder and paste it there). Now I can access said file from any machine. There is obviously no network speed performance with bluetooth, and I'm not really seeing how there would be any ease of use advantage with bluetooth either.
Old August 20, 2012, 12:05 AM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chareon View Post
Yeah its slow speed isn't going to be much of an issue with very small file sizes, however I'm still not seeing any advantage in using bluetooth over your regular network.

For me transferring a file consists of a cut/copy on the file I want to copy, a click on my fileserver shortcut under favourites in explorer, and if its just a quick transfer between the two a paste right in the root (if I intend to keep the file long term, navigate to the appropriate folder and paste it there). Now I can access said file from any machine. There is obviously no network speed performance with bluetooth, and I'm not really seeing how there would be any ease of use advantage with bluetooth either.
i believe the advantage to it is if you, the network administrator, are transferring alot of tiny files over to the server. i dont know if you can do this without having to do the conformation thing for every single file but if i could then that would make it really REALLY useful. especially in an office since they are transferring small files like pictures and documents made in Office 2007 and 2010 (or 2003 if they are still in the past...where im in 2007 ^^)