Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2012, 08:34 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameman Advanced Kid View Post
i believe the advantage to it is if you, the network administrator, are transferring alot of tiny files over to the server. i dont know if you can do this without having to do the conformation thing for every single file but if i could then that would make it really REALLY useful. especially in an office since they are transferring small files like pictures and documents made in Office 2007 and 2010 (or 2003 if they are still in the past...where im in 2007 ^^)
Confirmation for each file? I'm guessing that is a part of the bluetooth transfer process as regular network file transfers don't prompt you for every single file. In fact they don't prompt you for any of them unless you need to overwrite, etc.

As for an office, I might be wrong but I was under the impression that bluetooth was limited to pairing two single devices together, which would mean you'd need a bluetooth adapter for every single client. On top of which, even disregarding that potential issue, it would still only work in a VERY small office as you'd need everybody to be within close proximity to the server. Assuming that more than one user can pair with the bluetooth adapter even, wireless bandwidth is shared, so that theoretical 26mbps all of a sudden when shared, and once contention is factored in would probably mean only a couple mbps per user at most, and far more likely speeds measured at kbps.

All of this really doesn't matter though when you consider the fact that most computers don't have bluetooth adapters built in. This means your going to have to spend money buying adapters for the machines which don't. Pretty much all machines are going to have ethernet/wireless adapters however which means that you don't need to spend any money there. There are infrastructure costs of course, but if you're going to be supplying internet access to these machines you'll need the infrastructure for ethernet/wireless anyways.

Basically to sum it all up, bluetooth is pretty much just the wrong tool for the job when it comes to file transfers between laptops/desktops/servers. Transfer between your phone and computer? That is a case of what it is useful for.
Old August 20, 2012, 10:53 PM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chareon View Post
Confirmation for each file? I'm guessing that is a part of the bluetooth transfer process as regular network file transfers don't prompt you for every single file. In fact they don't prompt you for any of them unless you need to overwrite, etc.

As for an office, I might be wrong but I was under the impression that bluetooth was limited to pairing two single devices together, which would mean you'd need a bluetooth adapter for every single client. On top of which, even disregarding that potential issue, it would still only work in a VERY small office as you'd need everybody to be within close proximity to the server. Assuming that more than one user can pair with the bluetooth adapter even, wireless bandwidth is shared, so that theoretical 26mbps all of a sudden when shared, and once contention is factored in would probably mean only a couple mbps per user at most, and far more likely speeds measured at kbps.

All of this really doesn't matter though when you consider the fact that most computers don't have bluetooth adapters built in. This means your going to have to spend money buying adapters for the machines which don't. Pretty much all machines are going to have ethernet/wireless adapters however which means that you don't need to spend any money there. There are infrastructure costs of course, but if you're going to be supplying internet access to these machines you'll need the infrastructure for ethernet/wireless anyways.

Basically to sum it all up, bluetooth is pretty much just the wrong tool for the job when it comes to file transfers between laptops/desktops/servers. Transfer between your phone and computer? That is a case of what it is useful for.
i wasnt saying or MEANING it was meant for big places. im talking about small places. or moments when you need to get something done quick instead of fighting TCP/IP, wireless, and IPV6 just to get that tiny yet-so-gosh-damn-important file in.
Old August 21, 2012, 12:14 AM
Top Prospect

Well, all my points except for the performance still stand regardless of the number of people or machines. Even with a single person only using two machines, what are the chances you are going to have bluetooth on both these machines but not have them connected to the internet, AND need to copy a file between them, in a case where using a usb flash drive wouldn't be easier.

I mean the bluetooth file transfer stuff sounds ok, and I'm sure there are some very remote edge cases where it could potentially be useful. Essentially however I just don't want some network newbie to pop into this thread and think, "Oh! I should network my two machines with bluetooth." Everybody knows you should be throwing some top end infiniband in for that.