Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Peripherals (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/)
-   -   KVM suggestions for work (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/55154-kvm-suggestions-work.html)

Lpfan4ever June 30, 2012 11:08 AM

KVM suggestions for work

Right now our second KVM is a piece of crap, and the mouse port has stopped working. I really have no idea what to look for in KVMs, and it seems like they are pretty damn expensive. They don't make the D-Link one we have as our primary KVM anymore. (DKVM-4K) However, here's what I need:

- 4 port (2 port as a last resort)
- VGA
- PS/2
- Good enough for daily use

Any help would be appreciated :thumb:

grinder June 30, 2012 09:18 PM

the startech professional KVM's are built like a tank. I have an 8 port and it's been going since 2002.

NyteOwl July 1, 2012 09:31 AM

B&B Electronics and Blackbox also make some decent stuff but pricey.

JD July 1, 2012 02:09 PM

Really? You want PS/2 KVMs? We have a whole bunch at work kicking around since all our machines are USB-only now, but of course, I can't give you any due to stupid policies.

Maybe this: IOGEAR - GCS24U - 4-Port USB Cable KVM Switch but it's USB.

Lpfan4ever July 1, 2012 02:20 PM

We fix computers mainly from pre Vista days, since the area my work is in seems to be filled with ancient machines. When we reload XP machines, the new hardware window usually pops up for other stuff before the KVM's drivers (seems like they're just generic USB KB/mouse drivers) can install, making them essentially useless until we can get drivers installed. We have a 2 port D-Link USB/VGA KVM, but that's why we don't use it.

Unless that's a problem with the D-Link KVM? In which case USB would be welcomed.

Arinoth July 1, 2012 03:23 PM

How about this treadnet KVM?

TRENDNET 4-port PS/2 KVM Switch w/audio (Cables Included) : KVMs | Dell Canada

Lpfan4ever July 1, 2012 03:31 PM

That looks pretty good actually. I've liked my Trendnet stuff so far. Honestly would have never thought to look for KVMs on Dell's site.

JD July 1, 2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever (Post 638817)
We fix computers mainly from pre Vista days, since the area my work is in seems to be filled with ancient machines. When we reload XP machines, the new hardware window usually pops up for other stuff before the KVM's drivers (seems like they're just generic USB KB/mouse drivers) can install, making them essentially useless until we can get drivers installed. We have a 2 port D-Link USB/VGA KVM, but that's why we don't use it.

Unless that's a problem with the D-Link KVM? In which case USB would be welcomed.

Hard to say, every KVM works a little different. I have a this D-Link 2-Port USB KVM Switch with Audio Support at home and it has always worked fine, no matter how old the PC may be (so long as it has USB that is!)

Arinoth July 1, 2012 03:33 PM

Yeah, they sometimes carry the oddest things (or legacy stuff).

JD July 11, 2012 03:45 AM

In case you haven't bought one yet, this is on sale today:

Newegg.ca - IOGEAR GCS642U 2-Port USB Cable KVM Switch with File Transfer
w/ promo code CEMCNCJJ73
=$24.99