Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Peripherals (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/)
-   -   Replacement for MX518 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/53950-replacement-mx518.html)

muse108dc May 4, 2012 02:00 AM

Replacement for MX518

Well its a sad day but my mx518 has become sporadic in regards to its right click, tried cleaning it and checked the contacts and couldnt find anything wrong with it so its time for a replacement for it I think.

I also have a G700 that I got for my laptop but I dont seem to like it as much as the mx518. I need anything with 1000 buttons or infinite sensitivity but it at the very least it must have at least a forwarrd and back button for the thumb and it must be wired. A button that drops the sensitivity right down for the durration of you holding that button would be a bonus for several programs and games. And as always money is always an issue but any recommendations are welcome.

The only looking I've done is at the local futureshop and ncix to see which ones they had on display just to feel them but the selection was very limited. Looking at them online has the limit of just being able to show you specs.

YukonTrooper May 4, 2012 02:38 AM

I looked for a replacement for my dead MX518 about a year-and-a-half ago; tried Razer mice, tried other Logitech mice, ended up with another MX518. :punk:

chel- May 4, 2012 08:24 AM

How about the G400? It's essentially the same as the mx518 but with better performance (best performance on the market right now). I think you may even be able to find the mx518 online if you really want.

Dzzope May 4, 2012 08:34 AM

Rat has the "drop sensitivity while you hold it" button.. the older models should still be good but a better price.

Apathetik May 4, 2012 01:04 PM

Yeah the G400 is the new, revised 518 basically. Definitely recommend that, or the G500 if you liked the 518.

Dragonstongue May 4, 2012 03:28 PM

There is also the one I am using. Coolermaster Inferno its size is very close to the same as MX518, but a tad larger side to side and front to back as well as taller but only by a few MM. The mouse skates are very slick and quite a bit harder then the 518 had so they should not wear out near as easy. Also it is super configurable 5 settings multiple profiles, basically any way you want to adjust it, it can do it, as well with the profiles on the fly dpi adjustment etc.

I got the Inferno, shipped to my door, here in canada after tax, shipping costs etc for like $38, I think I got it through dell if I can remember correctly. I am sure there is better, but this is a damn great mouse.

Personal opinion. I always loved the size, shaped of 518 just wish it was more adjustable, faster and a bit larger. the CM inferno is exactly all that I wish the 518 was :)

miggs78 May 4, 2012 04:20 PM

So funny.. I'm also in the same boat for replacing my MX518..
So far I looked at the suggested here: Logitech G400 and CM Inferno, also found these: Gigabyte GM-M6900 & Razer DeathAdder 3500, with the reputation of Logitech and Razer, I'm favoring towards those two, and since all I've bought is from Logitech, swinging towards the Razer mouse..

chel- May 4, 2012 10:33 PM

You guys should also consider the Zowie AM. It's what Im using and was my replacement for the mx518/g400. Its shape is a bit different but it has great performance and for me personally its more comfortable.

JayDeeHobbit May 4, 2012 11:54 PM

When my dearly loved MX318 died after many years of faithful service I got the G500 = like an old friend after I got used to bumpy texture.

sa seba May 7, 2012 12:21 PM

I went from a 518 to a G5 to a G500, the same great feel but each has better response and feels more refined. If you like the shape of your 518, this could be the best way to go.