Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Peripherals (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/)
-   -   Looking to buy a new headset again, don't want to keep wasting money (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/53834-looking-buy-new-headset-again-dont-want-keep-wasting-money.html)

Pabz0r545 May 1, 2012 03:26 AM

Looking to buy a new headset again, don't want to keep wasting money

I honestly don't know where this thread belongs. I'll try it here.

I'm in the market for a new headset primarily for gaming, secondarily for music. I have been through 3 headsets now having spent over a couple hundred dollars only to find out they are all pretty much shit. I first had the Plantronics Gamescom 367. Everyone always said my mic sounded staticy with that one. Then it broke because the ears don't swivel and it took stress every time I took it off my fat head. Then I bought Corsair HS1. Again, static in the mic. It was awesome comfortable but one day the right ear just crapped out. Then I bought this Logitech G930. It is really comfortable but it makes my ears really hot as it isn't breathable. I also have some kind of wireless interference from time to time. Being free from the wire and able to walk around and clean while listening to music is so nice though.

So I need some suggestions on headsets. I am guessing I will have to spend ~150 to get something of decent quality? Obviously I would like to spend as little as possible but I am willing to spend up to 200 if I have to because I use my headset for at least 3 hours a day EVERY day. I would also like to get away from USB if possible so that opens up the possibility if I get a sound card. So here's my requirements:

#1 Comfortable
#2 Decent quality mic(doesn't have to be amazing)
#3 Full ear covers
#4 NO wireless
#5 3.5mm audio NO USB

I am tempted to give the Corsair Vengeance 1300 Analog a try because the price is so attractive but at the same time I am scared to waste my money again and have a speaker die randomly after 4 months. I have also read that the SteelSeries Siberia v2 is very comfortable and again has a nice price.

Lemme know what's good guys so I don't have to go waste another couple hundred. Thanks.

Dzzope May 1, 2012 04:53 AM

If something dies after 4 months you should really RMA it and get annother.. especially if you were reasonably happy with it (other than it crapping out and the mic performance.)

I have the HS1 and have the same problem with the mic.. That said it's much more profound in certain apps..

I would be tmpted by the vengeance 1300 as from reviews they are really really good.. the main thing that would put me off is the choice of ear pad cover.. and I haven't heard what the mic sounds like.

I had a pair of seinheisser pc155's and the mic quality was superb... BUT they were not the most comfy of headset by any means.
I'd be tempted by seinheisser again if I found a pair that I was happy with the comfort level with.

Apathetik May 1, 2012 05:44 AM

Newegg.ca - ROCCAT ROC-14-500 3.5mm Connector Circumaural Kave - Solid 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset

These are solid headphones. My friend uses them, and I prefer them over my HS1's. You would need a sound card to accompany them though if you want to get the true quality.

w0z May 1, 2012 07:51 AM

I love my Sennheiser HD555's. They are comfy, have great sound.

Here is some info on them
http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/104/160

WhippWhapp May 1, 2012 09:10 AM

I'd try an in ear with a clip on or desk mic.

Etymotic research, Klipsch S4.

Have you ever tried Koss PortaPros? If you can get past the retro looks, they are very easy to drive and put out awesome bass, very cheap on ebay.

Pabz0r545 May 1, 2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 625434)
If something dies after 4 months you should really RMA it and get annother.. especially if you were reasonably happy with it (other than it crapping out and the mic performance.)

I really hate the idea of RMA. I can't be bothered to spend 50% of the retail price on shipping for RMA. Then what happens the 2nd time it needs an RMA?

I will definitely have to look into the sennheisers. I have heard the name mentioned all too often.

The Roccat Kave's defnitely look nice and I have been eyeing up their products for a while. The only thing that turns me off of that is the USB.

SugarJ May 1, 2012 10:26 AM

Stop looking at gaming headsets and look at headphones. Add a clip-on mic. You can get very nice headphones in the $100-150 range. Like the Audio Technica ATH-AD700's I use, but they are open back and some find them a little lacking in bass. audio technica ath-ad700 | eBay

This is the mic I use, no one has ever complained about it: Zalman ZM-MIC 1 Microphone - ZALMAN TECH - ZM-MIC1

francisw19 May 1, 2012 11:44 AM

I've been quite pleased with my Sennheiser PC-350's. They are almost two years old and I've had no problems with them...the build quality is quite good, IMO. No complaints about the mic and the sound quality is good, but needs to be run through an equalizer otherwise the bass is somewhat lacking.

The only draw back about them is you should have a sound card with a headphone amp to get the best sound as they are 150 Ohms. So, depending on your budget, this is something to keep in mind. :)

Lpfan4ever May 1, 2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by francisw19 (Post 625520)
I've been quite pleased with my Sennheiser PC-350's. They are almost two years old and I've had no problems with them...the build quality is quite good, IMO. No complaints about the mic and the sound quality is good, but needs to be run through an equalizer otherwise the bass is somewhat lacking.

The only draw back about them is you should have a sound card with a headphone amp to get the best sound as they are 150 Ohms. So, depending on your budget, this is something to keep in mind. :)

Or you can Hero mod them :biggrin: Bass a plenty now.

But I agree. I'll be going with headphones + clip on mic once my headset kicks the bucket. Audio Technica M50's seem to get good reviews as well, seems to be around the $150 mark.

francisw19 May 1, 2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever (Post 625522)
Or you can Hero mod them :biggrin: Bass a plenty now.

But I agree. I'll be going with headphones + clip on mic once my headset kicks the bucket. Audio Technica M50's seem to get good reviews as well, seems to be around the $150 mark.

Ah yes...I forgot about the hero mod. I've got my sound setup they way I like it, so I've never tried this. But, a buddy at work has done this to his PC-350 and was very happy with the results. So, I might just have to give this a try some day. :thumb: