Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2012, 12:07 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default On a quest for a keyboard

I've been looking for a while to find a decent keyboard with as much of the following features as possible;

-Ergonomic - Must have
-Wireless - Must have
-Small USB dongle, so it's always plugged in a laptop. (is there only logitech?)
-Canadian french layout
-chicklet style keyboard

I'll probably end up buying a Logitech performance MX too. I really liked it. Can be wireless + wired which is awesome, very comfortable and a few nice other features.

This points makes me lean toward a logitech keyboard too since I'd like to only have one usb dongle connected. I thought of the K350 which I really like, but the french layout version is only avaiable as part of a kit with a crappy mouse (retails for 90$+tx in quebec). I don't mind too much for an english keyboard, been using one for ~2 years (still, I'd rather have a french one).

Any of you guys are using wireless keyboard that would be worth trying out?

Thanks!
Old April 20, 2012, 04:49 PM
MVP

Ergonomic + chicklet keys gives you very few options.

The Microsoft Mobile Keyboard 5000/6000 (6000 includes a separate wireless numpad) has all the stuff in your list except it works via Bluetooth rather than 2.4 GHz, and seems to have the French versions available at Best Buy/Futureshop.
Old April 21, 2012, 05:13 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well... Actually I first was looking for bluetooth peripherals, but there's even less options. I think the only option pretty much is the K350...
Old April 21, 2012, 11:38 AM
MVP

When it comes to Keyboards....Logitech is the best IMHO.

I think that there is one option that fits your needs but I have to find the model number. Have you tried looking at your local Staples?

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old April 22, 2012, 06:49 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
When it comes to Keyboards....Logitech is the best IMHO.

I think that there is one option that fits your needs but I have to find the model number. Have you tried looking at your local Staples?
Yea I did. That's where I tried the K350, but it comes bundled with a crappy mouse -.- Which makes it twice the price I'd get it from NCIX. I like the keyboard in the microsoft 7000 kit, but it once again come with a mouse..
Old April 22, 2012, 07:06 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I used to type with a Logitech K750 - wireless and battery-less - the solar-powered keyboard with a M510 wireless mouse. Both use the Unifying USB receiver (which barely sticks out of the USB port). No chicklets but it was great.
Since playing BF3 though, I had to put it aside for an older Logitech.

Logitech - Wireless Solar Keyboard K750
Old April 22, 2012, 08:26 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I used to type with a Logitech K750 - wireless and battery-less - the solar-powered keyboard with a M510 wireless mouse. Both use the Unifying USB receiver (which barely sticks out of the USB port). No chicklets but it was great.
Since playing BF3 though, I had to put it aside for an older Logitech.

Logitech - Wireless Solar Keyboard K750
I tried but I'm really looking for a more comfy keyboard.

I just noticed NCIX have the french K550 combo listed, which can be pricematched for ~$73. I might get this and try to sell the mouse for $25-$30...

-Never tried the Unifying receiver before ... anyone got feedback on that matter? (seems like both the K350 and the performance MX are compliant)
Old April 23, 2012, 04:51 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Works fine on my combo.
Old April 23, 2012, 05:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well I went ahead and bought both the MK550 and the performance MX. I'll try to sell the mouse..
Old May 1, 2012, 05:38 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Small follow up on this matter;
I got the mouse last week so Iím pretty much used to it. It's damn great!

-the battery life is quite short (4-5 days of light use) but since you can have it plugged and keep working, itís fine with me.
-The wheel button is hard to get used to at first. I use it a lot on the web to open links in new tabs.

+the mouse is perfectly shaped for my hand, very comfortable
+the matte coating is quite enjoyable. It feels great and the mouse does not slip out of your hand.
+It isn't as light as my mx518, which I like
+all buttons can be customized and you can set them for different task in different software without having to change anything.
+OMG, the thumb button is so well located. I didn't even see it at first. Just under the thumb, really easy to reach.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also received the MK550 combo today. I didn't even try the mouse, really hated it. I'll look out to sell it shortly.

The keyboard is definitely the best I've work with.
+I like how the keys are sort of easier to press than my G15 and crappy Acer keyboard.
+the palm rest is really comfortable.
+Quite a few nice buttons, once again all customizable. Lots of stuff accessible via the "Fn" key (word, excel, calendar, mail, browser, IM, battery, CD drive eject..)
+quite silent

-I'm pretty sure the keys are a tiny bit farther apart from each other which make it feels bigger. I'm not used to that yet but really it's the only downside I can think of right now.
-French version only sold in a bundle with a crappy mouse
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, more of a software section: HUGE kudos to Logitech on the software here. I recall the G15 software to be not so user friendly and not very pleasant to use. On the other hand, the SetPoint software is DAMN nice. Nice design, all section easy to figure out, easy to select different devices. It detected my keyboard as soon as I did connect it.

The same goes for the Unifying software. Anyone could figure it out, in ~3 steps you have your new device connected to your one and only tiny USB dongle.

I seriously consider getting another kit (performance MX + K350) for the office. Screw the crappy stuff...

Last edited by Behemoth-; May 1, 2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: typos!