Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2012, 10:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Mouse pad

I am looking to get a new mouse pad to replace my generic one. I am mainly interested in the Steelseries 4HD (9HD too big for my needs).

SteelSeries North America - SteelSeries 4HD

I can't seem to find any intelligent post while Googling that clearly states was it the best buy. Please discuss your likes and dislikes here.

For my specific needs, yeah I have a very old MX510 but it works great.

Thank you.

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work
Old April 19, 2012, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This subject is about as subjective as headphones, but I'll give it a try with my opinion:

I turn sensitivity up relatively high (3" of swift movement gets the cursor across a 1680x1080 display) so I use mouse pads that have some texture. I've switched between Microsoft Sidewinder (X5, X3) and Logitech G500 mice; note I've never liked the idea of a heavier mouse. I usually play RTS and RPG games, and in FPS I have bad aim with a mouse.

On my main rig for over 2 years I've been using the HWC mouse pad on the slightly less rough side: Hardware Canucks Custom Surface 1030 Mouse Pad - Hardware Canucks Store

For my laptop I actually use a "generic" mouse pad, but one with texture as well, this one from the fabric layer:
Canada Computers | Keyboards, Mice, Tablets, Digital WhiteBoard | iCan "Green" Jersey Cloth + Recycled Natural Rubber Mouse Pad 220*180*2.7mm (DK06-02)

The worst mouse pad I tried was this kind, which had a smooth plastic coating: Canada Computers | Keyboards, Mice, Tablets, Digital WhiteBoard | Laser 3D High Quality Gaming Mouse Pad
Even doing web browsing the mouse pad was so sticky I overshot and undershot buttons with my cursor.
Old April 19, 2012, 04:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
On my main rig for over 2 years I've been using the HWC mouse pad on the slightly less rough side: Hardware Canucks Custom Surface 1030 Mouse Pad - Hardware Canucks Store
I also use the HWC one and I love it, best I have ever used. I did have a Steelseries one (I think it was this one) before this and while it was good, quite good actually, this one is just so much better. This is with using the Logitech Performance MX which works good on almost any surface.

Old April 19, 2012, 10:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

the hard plastic mouse pads take some getting used to. As a FPS gamer, it took me a couple weeks to calibrate myself from cloth.

Of the hard-plastic type mouse pads the steel series is the best IMO. I've used rat padz and all sorts of others in the past and after using a SS nothing else compares. I too am a logitech MX mouser.
Old April 19, 2012, 11:16 PM

You'll never get me off the QCK bandwagon. It's machine washable and doesn't get all "slick" in the high traffic areas like hard pads do.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old April 20, 2012, 12:21 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Personally I like the QCK pads. I use the mini as I'm all about having a mouse pad, not a table cloth. I also use high sensitivity so I don't need much surface area.
Old April 20, 2012, 01:19 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

wish i can recommend the artisan kai g3 hien but they seem to be out of production..
steelseries qck/cloth mousepads are the closest to the artisan except it isnt as slick
Old April 20, 2012, 08:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have the 4HD you linked, I really like it.
Old May 1, 2012, 01:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

And Indeed I like it.

Got it not so long after the last post and it is indeed surprising how much difference the pad can make. I never thought I would have noticed it THAT much.

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work