Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2012, 05:53 AM
Rookie

Default Do gaming mice have durable scroll wheels?

I've only been using generic mice up to this point, and what I noticed was that I tend to replace them due to the scroll wheel not working correctly anymore. 2 out of 3 past mice that I used had dead or near dead scroll wheels after a year or so, and the one I'm currently using is about to go the same way. I'm thinking of buying a new mouse, and I'm willing to shell a few extra bucks for a quality one this time around, but I wanna get some feedback first just to be sure. The ones I used in the past lasted at least a year, and a couple of them lasted around 2 more years, so I'm looking for something that's gonna keep longer than those over a price premium.

I actually haven't browsed for any specific models yet, so any advice would be welcome. As for my preferences:

Button and wheel lifespan: 3 or more years. I'm not really a heavy gamer, but I do scroll and click the middle button usually when I'm browsing the net
Wireless: definitely no
Extra buttons: welcome, but not really necessary
Laser/Optical: I prefer laser, but optical is fine too
Size: I'm looking for something I can rest my palm completely on, not the smaller ones intended for 'claw-grip'. I apologize for not having numbers for dimensions at this time

I don't really abuse the mouse too much. Busted scroll wheels aside, I'd say the old ones I replaced were still working perfectly. I only had 1 case where I replaced it due to the left click feeling different already, and it was 1 of those that lasted more than a year.

Thanks for your time, guys. Have a nice day.
Old March 6, 2012, 06:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Logitech G500, best mouse I've ever used and no signs of wear after over a year of having it.
Old March 6, 2012, 06:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

mx518, mine lasted 3 years with heavy use (4-5 hours day) playing cod4. about 4 months after the warranty was up the page button by the scroll wheel stopped working and logitech still replaced it, and i didnt have to send the old one in. bought a mx510 in 2004 and when the 518 came out i bought one, been using them since. logitech imo makes the best gaming mice.

Old March 6, 2012, 07:08 AM
MVP

My System Specs

+1 Logitech makes best mouse. I have a mx500 from 2004/5, solid build. For my newer desktop I am using G700 which can be configured in WIN7 and the configuration stays when I change to another computer or switch to linux.
Old March 6, 2012, 08:14 AM
Top Prospect

I suppose you could consider "Gaming" mice to have a better scroll wheel. Compared to the cheapo generic mice out there, they're typically better built/designed. So, they should likely last longer.

Count me in with another vote for Logitech. I've had my G9x for a year and a half, and I've had ZERO problems with it. It's very comfortable for my grip style and has an excellent laser sensor. The only complaint I have is that the middle click button is a bit stiff. So, if you're using this quite often, I would look at something else - the G500 for G700 suggestions above, for instance.

I've never had to use Logitech's customer service, but I have heard very good things about them. So, if you do have a problem, they'll look after you.
Old March 7, 2012, 08:58 AM
Allstar

I've got the G500 now for about 6mon, pretty solid so far, the wheel spins nice with the right click, but middle clicking the wheel is stiff sometimes, feels like I'm gonna break it when trying to click it during frantic games.
Bought it to replace my old MX518 which still worked after years of abuse, sitting in the box beside me just in case the G500 dies :)
Old March 7, 2012, 12:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've been using my Razor Diamondback for going on 6 years now and not a single issue with any button or scroll wheel.
Old March 7, 2012, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

5 years on logitech G5 (now called the G500) and it feels brand new still.
Old March 7, 2012, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

G500 scroll wheel gives me a boner, especially the free scrolling or whatever. I'd definitely reccommend it.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old March 7, 2012, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've had a Logitech V150 for close to 6 years now, and absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it...that might be why i haven't felt the need to replace it. And I suppose the V150 would just be considered a mainstream mouse, not even a gaming mouse. Just goes to show that Logitech makes a damn reliable mouse.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;