Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2012, 12:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Gotta find one... don't know where...

'Sup all,

Just a quick question, I need a bit of an odd cable, a USB to Mini-USB cable that's at least 50ft long. Anyone know (preferably locally) where I can pick one up?
Old February 20, 2012, 12:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm by no means an expert, but according to the wiki that would be well over the limit for USB spec....

Quote:
Cabling

A USB twisted pair, where the "Data +" and "Data -" conductors are twisted together in a double helix. The wires are enclosed in a further layer of shielding.

The data cables for USB 1.x and USB 2.x use a twisted pair to reduce noise and crosstalk. USB 3.0 cables contain twice as many wires as USB 2.x to support SuperSpeed data transmission, and are thus larger in diameter.[37]
The USB 1.1 Standard specifies that a standard cable can have a maximum length of 3 meters with devices operating at Low Speed (1.5 Mb/s), and a maximum length of 5 meters with devices operating at Full Speed (12 Mb/s).[citation needed]
USB 2.0 provides for a maximum cable length of 5 meters for devices running at Hi Speed (480 Mb/s). The primary reason for this limit is the maximum allowed round-trip delay of about 1.5 μs. If USB host commands are unanswered by the USB device within the allowed time, the host considers the command lost. When adding USB device response time, delays from the maximum number of hubs added to the delays from connecting cables, the maximum acceptable delay per cable amounts to 26 ns.[38] The USB 2.0 specification requires cable delay to be less than 5.2 ns per meter (192,000 km/s, which is close to the maximum achievable transmission speed for standard copper wire).
The USB 3.0 standard does not directly specify a maximum cable length, requiring only that all cables meet an electrical specification: for copper cabling with AWG 26 wires the maximum practical length is 3 meters (9.8 ft).[39]
Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It sounds like that limit might not be due to something which can be overcome (like signal loss), but is instead based on response times required for the system to work.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 20, 2012, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

USB to cat 6 to USB is the way to go I will hunt ine up to show you .

EDIT : Like this New USB Extender over Cat 5e/6 RJ-45 Ethernet Cable (In Bulk) Central Ottawa (inside greenbelt), Ottawa

don,t know where to find them out where you are
Old February 20, 2012, 03:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You are correct, USB is not designed for long lengths, moreso it is meant to connect local devices like a keyboard or a mouse.
Old February 21, 2012, 04:16 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Crap. So what can I do then? And how much are those USB to CAT adapters?
Old February 21, 2012, 05:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

doh $20 - New USB Extender over Cat 5e/6 RJ-45 Ethernet Cable
plus shipping

Store Name: "Cable Link"
2525 Carling Avenue, Unit 16,
Ottawa, K2B7Z2;
Tel: 613-709-3083
Old February 21, 2012, 05:41 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

At that range, you may as well just go wireless.
Old February 21, 2012, 11:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Whats the intended purpose of this 50ft cable? That might help us in finding you alternate solutions...

Monoprice does sell a cable with an active repeater in it: For only $11.91 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 49ft 15M USB 2.0 A Male to B Male Active Cable | USB 2.0 Cables - Regular Type but I have no idea how well it works.
Old February 21, 2012, 11:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I use an active repeater and they are kinda spotty, you can use it for say 1 device, but even if you have a powered usb hub on the end you may have your devices randomly disconnect then connect.
Old February 21, 2012, 12:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
doh $20 - New USB Extender over Cat 5e/6 RJ-45 Ethernet Cable
plus shipping

Store Name: "Cable Link"
2525 Carling Avenue, Unit 16,
Ottawa, K2B7Z2;
Tel: 613-709-3083
Whoops, my bad, didn't even see that in the original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
At that range, you may as well just go wireless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Whats the intended purpose of this 50ft cable? That might help us in finding you alternate solutions...
Ah, it's for my amp. See, I fancy myself a bit of a guitarist, and I own a (spectacular, btw) Fender Mustang III 1x12 combo. It has this USB connectivity feature, however as I live in a pretty small place and run a guitar with single-coil pickups, I cannot move my amp from its permanent location to hook it up to my (stationary) rig. I was thinking if I could just find a long enough cable, route it around behind my couch and around the edge of the room I could have it hooked permanently up to the back of my computer and then never have to worry about it.

If I was mistaken in placing this thread here (because admittedly it is kind of off topic) mods, feel free to move it.

Sorry Sky, can't really go wireless with this one