Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2012, 07:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Gaming Sunglasses, your thoughts for Work and Gaming

I was contemplating picking up the Gunnar SteelSeries Desmo Sunglasses after watching the webseries The Controller after a few of the professional gamers said they help cut down on glare and eye strain of looking at a screen for long periods of time.

The reason I'm thinking of getting these, or something similar is that my eyes are slightly more light sensitive ever since laser eye surgery then they used to. If these things cut down on glare and eye strain it could help me reduce the amount of headaches I get at work from staring at my 3 work monitors for most of the day (and be used for gaming as well). Well that and from the florescent light that's essentially right over my desk (and I'm slightly sensitive to those as well).

I was wondering if anyone had any gaming sunglasses and if they noticed an improvement from the negative effects of prolonged use of a computer monitor for work or gaming.

Review of the product from one site: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=1
Old February 10, 2012, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

why not just creating different color setting from your screen??

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 10, 2012, 08:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Doesn't really work, and the fact the florescent lights also effect me (and some people).
Old February 10, 2012, 08:18 AM
MVP

Have you considered consulting an optometrist?
Old February 10, 2012, 08:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

My optometrist is back in ontario and usually has a few months waiting period to see her.
Old February 10, 2012, 08:46 AM
MVP

saint john optometrist - Google Search

;)
Old February 10, 2012, 08:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

How about we just say it's more complicated then going to a random one due to the laser eye surgery I had done in the past and in order for my "warranty" to stay in effect I can only get certain qualified optometrists to see them. Anyways this is derailing my thread from my original question.
Old February 10, 2012, 11:15 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
Ooooooooo, look who learned to google the fancy internet machine today.
Old February 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

personally i wouldn't bother. But then again i can't wear them as i already have glasses. Honestly if you getting alot of problems with eye strain then maybe you should take longer breaks or reconsider the lighting in the rooms when your using your monitor or reducing the brightness/contrast.

Old February 10, 2012, 02:29 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
personally i wouldn't bother. But then again i can't wear them as i already have glasses. Honestly if you getting alot of problems with eye strain then maybe you should take longer breaks or reconsider the lighting in the rooms when your using your monitor or reducing the brightness/contrast.

If you wear glasses - like me- and are NOT wearing Transition IVs or polarized lens (I have really nice ones that I also use for shooting that are a) polarized and B) change from yellow to red to brown depending on light intensity)....you are doing yourself a major disservice. HUGE, night and day difference. I get zero eyestrain from using a pc all day and reading on an ebook at night (12+ hrs using LCD). I personally will never go back to clear lenses.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr