Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2012, 06:17 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Good Joysticks

I'm in need of a good joystick for arcade style flying games and maybe some flight simulators. I used to play Crimson Skies and Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator a lot. My last joystick was a Microsoft sidewinder force feedback 2, which was awesome, until my family wore through the USB cable by pushing it against the corner of the desk too many times .

I was thinking of picking up something like the Saitek X52 Saitek X52 Flight Control System Joystick & Throttle W/ MFD Display - Saitek - PS28

Is the pro version much better Saitek X52 Pro Flight Control System Joystick and Throttle W/ Programmable LCD Display Black - Saitek - PS34 i.e. more reliable mechanical switches or just some flashy programmable stuff I'll never use? After reading a few reviews it seems like it does indeed have better mechanics/more sensors.

Anyone have any experience with either of these or similar products that can throw in their 2 cents?
Old February 2, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have an X52 non-pro. I like it but I also lack any other modern sticks so I have nothing to compare it to.
Some say they are terrible and break while some say that it is sturdy. I guess it depends how you use it.
Old February 3, 2012, 04:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

if i were you, i would get the MSFF repaired if possible. the sidewinder is the best joystick ever built. i've tried several other joysticks, including the ones you mentioned, but none of them give you the feeling of actually flying your airplane. the MSFF i had broke about 2 years ago and i tried finding one that was near as good and couldn't. finally i found another MSFF on Amazon.com. try getting it fixed fleurious....they don't make them any better.
Old February 3, 2012, 09:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My friend has gone through about 10 X52's (all under BestBuy Warranty), he treats them like crap and uses them hard and buttons keep failing. In contrast, my $10 Logitech Attack 3 has stood up to far more and works perfectly fine after 6 years. If you do buy it, I would buy it with some sort of extended warranty/instant replacement thing, especially if you aren't super gentle with electronics.
Old February 3, 2012, 10:47 PM
Allstar

If you got the cash, get a CH set.
Old February 4, 2012, 06:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Honestly, I still use my old Jogitech Attack. The problem I have found with the two-piece units is the fact that many newer games just don't pick up the throttle unit.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:42 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
I have an X52 non-pro. I like it but I also lack any other modern sticks so I have nothing to compare it to.
Some say they are terrible and break while some say that it is sturdy. I guess it depends how you use it.
I'm in the same boat of not having much experience with joysticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
if i were you, i would get the MSFF repaired if possible. the sidewinder is the best joystick ever built. i've tried several other joysticks, including the ones you mentioned, but none of them give you the feeling of actually flying your airplane. the MSFF i had broke about 2 years ago and I tried finding one that was near as good and couldn't. finally i found another MSFF on Amazon.com. try getting it fixed fleurious....they don't make them any better.
That joystick is long gone sadly, i tore through the basement at my dad's place looking for it a few months ago and it was no where to be found.. I thought I could patch up the USB cable myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
My friend has gone through about 10 X52's (all under BestBuy Warranty), he treats them like crap and uses them hard and buttons keep failing. In contrast, my $10 Logitech Attack 3 has stood up to far more and works perfectly fine after 6 years. If you do buy it, I would buy it with some sort of extended warranty/instant replacement thing, especially if you aren't super gentle with electronics.
I treat my equipment pretty well, but if they are that sensitive to wear and tear I may want to avoid them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
If you got the cash, get a CH set.
I was looking at the F-16 stick and probably would get it if it had the throttle built into the joystick. A small lever like the MSFF had would be best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Honestly, I still use my old Jogitech Attack. The problem I have found with the two-piece units is the fact that many newer games just don't pick up the throttle unit.
I'm leaning towards getting a cheapo joystick just to be able to fly the BF3 vehicles, at 15-10$ it's not a big investment if I change my mind and get something nice later.

Thanks everyone.
Old February 14, 2012, 01:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Attack 3 is perfect for Battlefield games. It's simple, it works and does everything you need. They're dirt cheap if you can find them in stock any more.
Old February 14, 2012, 02:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX has the Attack 3 and the Extreme 3D (which I use for BF3 and Wings of Prey) in stock. The Extreme 3D is cheaper on Tigerdirect though.

Edit: Correction, they show in stock but are actually at supplier's warehouse. Both are in stock and cheapest on TD.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:06 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
The Attack 3 is perfect for Battlefield games. It's simple, it works and does everything you need. They're dirt cheap if you can find them in stock any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
NCIX has the Attack 3 and the Extreme 3D (which I use for BF3 and Wings of Prey) in stock. The Extreme 3D is cheaper on Tigerdirect though.

Edit: Correction, they show in stock but are actually at supplier's warehouse. Both are in stock and cheapest on TD.
I could not find the Attack 3 in stock anywhere local so I picked up the Extreme 3D and tried setting up all the keybinds to work in BF3. Still messing around, I need find a single player map with vehicles so i can take my time.

Overall the joystick is decent, albeit a tad stiff for my liking.

Last edited by Fleurious; February 16, 2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: grammer