Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Peripherals (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/)
-   -   Mechanical Keyboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/50498-mechanical-keyboards.html)

Kilauea January 15, 2012 12:53 PM

Mechanical Keyboards

Hello,

I am looking to move to a mechanical keyboard. However, I have a hard time figuring what each switch will feel like. I managed to try blue switch which felt good, but that's all I could try. I am considering black switches, but unsure of how they will feel.

Can anyone try to describe the feeling difference between black switch and blue as well as compared to dome ?

Thank you.

lowfat January 15, 2012 01:31 PM

Blacks are non tactile. When you press then you can't feel when the click has been registered. They are also non clicky. All you get is the clack of the key cap bottoming out. I'd much rather type on blues personally.

If you are looking for a board w/ blues for cheap. Canada Computers | Keyboards, Mice, Tablets, Digital WhiteBoard | Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (SGK-4000-GKCL1-US)

Kilauea January 15, 2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 590658)
Blacks are non tactile. When you press then you can't feel when the click has been registered. They are also non clicky. All you get is the clack of the key cap bottoming out. I'd much rather type on blues personally.

So on a black, the feeling (of when the press has been registered) would be similar to when you type on a membrane keyboard where the key hits the bottom ?

I am pretty much sold on backlit keyboards, so that puts the costs a fair bit higher... I know the Black Widow Ultimate has backlit blue switches, but for now, I am unsure of what switch I will go for... That explains this thread ;)

a35599 January 15, 2012 01:49 PM

I like the Cherry MX Red switch. I like there response, good for gaming I feel. Just my 2c.

MacJunky January 15, 2012 01:50 PM

This thread has useful information:
Mechanical Keyboard Guide

I personally like blues waywaywayway more than blacks. But then I like me some clickage! I have had no issue gaming with blues either.

Evilyeti January 15, 2012 02:33 PM

Info

I own a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard, Corsair Vengeance K90 and SteelSeries 6GV2

I am pretty sure these are the switches they use:
Razer = Blue
Corsair = Red
SteelSeries = Black

I cannot describe the way the keyboards feel accurately enough to give them a detailed comparison. However I can tell you that the Razer and Corsair both feel similar to one another. The SteelSeries keyboard feels different from the Razer/Corsair.

This is my own personal opinion, but I prefer the feel of the Corsair for gaming over all. But if I had a desk job and had to sit in front of a computer all day, I would use the SteelSeries.

The build quality of the Corsair is in my opinion the best. (aluminum, heavy, high quality)
The build quality of the SteelSeries is very nice as well (plastic, feels heavy, good quality)
The build quality of the Razer is also very nice (plastic, feels heavy, good quality)

Lpfan4ever January 15, 2012 02:42 PM

There's a post on OCN I believe that tells you the exact differences between all the Cherry switches. Just google Mechanical Keyboard Guide or something like that, should find it. One thing I do know is reds are pretty much the same as blacks, just take a little less force to push.

Kilauea January 15, 2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever (Post 590708)
There's a post on OCN I believe that tells you the exact differences between all the Cherry switches. Just google Mechanical Keyboard Guide or something like that, should find it. One thing I do know is reds are pretty much the same as blacks, just take a little less force to push.

Yup, I have read all of it, but I was looking at some first hand experience with those, to get some opinions.

Masteroderus January 15, 2012 03:43 PM

I use the blackwidow ultimate and it's by far the best i've ever used. It is very loud.

The ultra responsiveness of the keys take a little while to get totally used to, but I can input commands faster than on any other keyboard.

The individual backlit keys combined with usb functions (basic media functions, gamer mode, ect), and advanced programable and on the fly programable macro functions, and total remap capability.

If you don't want any usb b.s., I would reccommend the cherry mx blue Das Keyboard.

Prolab January 15, 2012 07:15 PM

I have both the Rosewill Cherry reds and the Corsair K90. Both have red switches and both are a joy to use on FPS. Even on typing, both are very responsive to key strokes. And doesnt take much force to press the keys to register.

One thing i did notice though, i was able to get used to the layout for about a day pretty quickly. On the K90, its been 2 days and im still adjusting. Not sure why since both KB sets have the same layout (not including G buttons on the k90).

And i also understand how people are upset that the other keys on the K90 arent mechanical. There's a big difference in typing feel between the buttons.

Build quality between the 2? Theyre both good, solid units. But the Rosewill (surprisingly) is built like a tank. Its a tad heavier than my K90. If it wasnt for my needs to have a LED backlight and media controls - id be keeping my Rosewill hands down.