Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2012, 04:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Looking to try a mechanical keyboard.

So, looking to try out a mechanical keyboard, have a few things I'd want on it;

Loud keys, like model M.
Media controls
full keyboard
backlit keys

I'd prefer to keep it at 100 or less, but that is quite the stretch for what i want, i know. So far all i've seen that peaks my interest is the K90, but I don't need all the dumb extra keys that I'll never use.
Old January 13, 2012, 05:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For the loud keys that definitely means Cherry MX Blue switches (like the ones I'm typing on)

The Razer Blackwidow Ultimate has a very limited selection of media keys (play/pause, stop, back, forward) and backlight - it seems to hover just above your limit so sales may bring it lower. The issue I find with my BlackWidow (non-ultimate) is mistaking the macro key M5 for control.
Link:
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Edition - Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Razer Online Store
Old January 13, 2012, 06:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bleh i dont like Fn media keys :( at the same price as the K90, The K90 would be the obvious choice between the two. I'll keep it in mind though, thanks.
Old January 13, 2012, 08:50 AM
Top Prospect

I have pretty much tried all the current mechanical keyboards and nothing really compares to the model M

for over 15 years all I used is model M

at work I got a few complaints about noise, so I switched to a daskeyboard and it's the closet to model M as you can get.. no media keys but windows and right click keys are included

-joe
Old January 13, 2012, 12:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm pretty happy with my K60, so the K90 seems logical for you since you want backlighting. I don't consider it "loud" though, but it's definitely audible. I wouldn't say it's any louder than my other keyboards though which weren't mechanical.

Honestly though, why do you need backlighting? Don't know where the keys are?
Old January 13, 2012, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Easier on my eyes at night.
Old March 2, 2012, 08:11 PM
Rookie

Just be aware that the K90 is not fully mechanical. F1 through F12, Esc, PrtScn, Scroll Lock, Pause/Break, Insert, Home, Page Up Page Down, Delete, and the End key are regular dome... not sure if you care too much but just something to note.
Old March 7, 2012, 09:12 AM
Allstar

Are all mechanical kb noisy with key clicks? I really don't like that when gaming. Backlighting is important to me because I have the ambient lights down very low usually and prefer it that way.
NCIX has it for alot less than bestbuy right now...
Old March 7, 2012, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Easier on my eyes at night.
Use a lamp? Or get a led strip for behind your monitor.
Old March 20, 2012, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm thinking of ditching my cheap membrane keyboard and trying a mech board. I've been looking at the azio levetron, thermaltake esports, and corsair k90. The K90 appears to be the best of the 3 with a proper sized backspace key, cherry red switches, and a clean layout. I can PM it down to $110 at direct canada.

Are there any K90 owners here? And how has your experience been with that keyboard?