Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2011, 07:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default [Resolved] The Scrollwheel [looking for a good one in a new mouse]

Hello all,

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a replacement to my Microsoft X5 mouse because its scroll wheel is sticking. I did clean it out and even filed out a part where it was getting stuck, but it looks like the dust piled up again in less than 2 months. (The mouse seems to have overly tight tolerances around the scroll wheel.)

I do research so I scroll a lot while searching. (Yes I do narrow my search results but to get started I have to find what to eliminate / emphasize, so that initial bit requires scrolling.) I normally use the arrow and pgup/pgdown keys (currently using a mechanical keyboard so I don't wear them out like I did with my old membrane one ), but a useable scroll wheel is nice too. I also game and do some basic diagrams with my mouse so I like higher sensitivity. As an example, I currently have my mouse set up so moving 4cm quickly will move the cursor from one side to the other of a 1680x1050 display.

What I'm looking for in a mouse is the following:
  • Budget: <$60 CAD before taxes
  • Between 4 and 7 buttons (for TeamSpeak / Vent push-to-talk)
  • Scroll wheel that get stuck after gathering some dust
  • Normal sized mouse (not the miniature notebook variety)
  • >1000DPI for tracking (so better than cheap optical mouse)
  • Wired mouse (USB) - my motherboard has no PS/2
  • Adjustable sensitivity is nice but not required
  • A lack of bling (i.e not a flashlight) is much appreciated

Any recommendations for a mouse that will last excessive scrolling, general "office" and "productivity" tasks, and moderate gaming? I shouldn't bang the mouse around much as I have another one that I can use as fodder for taking to LANs and to school, but I'd like it to last >2 years of the usage described above.

I was thinking of...
Computer Mouse: Comfort Mouse 4500 | Microsoft Hardware
Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GM-M6880 Metal Black USB Wired Laser 1600 dpi Gaming Mouse
Newegg.ca - RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse - 3.5G Infrared Sensor

-------------------------
TRIVIA:
This post is named after the comic / video with the same name.

Last edited by frontier204; December 16, 2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Got the G500!
Old December 13, 2011, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

G500 on sale? The unlockable scroll wheel (don't know exactly what it's called) is sweet for scrolling large amounts. Just flick it a bit and it scrolls for days. Then click a button and it goes back to the normal clicky scroll wheel. Fits all of your other criteria as well.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 13, 2011, 09:52 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Yesssss, a thousand times this. My G9 also has the freewheeling scrollwheel option and it is the best thing ever.
Old December 13, 2011, 05:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

memex has the g500 for only 64.99 right now
Logitech G500 Laser Gaming Mouse at Memory Express
Old December 13, 2011, 07:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the suggestions - I just looked through videos of the scroll wheel and the product info for it. The marketing of the scroll wheel to switch weapons made me (I enjoy getting unanswered shots on other FPS players if they do that.)

The mouse looks good, so I've added the G500 and its non-gaming cousin G500 (without adjustable weight / sensitivity) to my watch list. I only use sensitivity adjust on games that slow down your mouse-look speed when you hold big weapons - can't remember the game but I recall a game that made your mouse REALLY slow when you were in a tank controlling the main turret rather than just limiting the actual rate of turn of the turret.

Best Buy has it on sale $60 / free ship
Logitech Gaming Mouse (G500) - Black : Gaming Mice - Best Buy Canada
...if only it was Futureshop instead so I could burn my gift card... I'll think about it after my exam.
Old December 13, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

G500.

Using a G5 (old G500) and it's going strong after 4 years of heavy use. Scroll wheel feels brand new still.

Plus it's damn comfy
Old December 14, 2011, 12:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Definitely get a Logitech with the "frictionless" scrolling. G9X gets my vote, but the G500 has a better price tag.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011