Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2008, 06:12 PM
Top Prospect

Default Need New Keyboard...

So, I accidentally spilled juice over my old keyboard, and now I'm in search of a new one. I don't wanna spend a lot on gaming keyboard or whatever, just a cheap keyboard with some multimedia/shortcut keys (ie. play/pause/ff/rw/calc/vol/etc...)

So far, I'm thinking of these two:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ke...s/186&cl=ca,en (~$15)

Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard BX1-00005 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca (~$20)

However, I haven't used keyboards from Logitech or Microsoft before, so I'd like some comments. I tried the Microsoft one in-store, and liked the feel; but I'm unsure about the Logitech one. If anyone has one, your comments are most welcome.

Also, feel free to point me to another product that's better for the price if there is.

Thanks.

(Sorry if it's kinda stupid question, but i don't wanna buy a keyboard that sux...because it's one of those things you don't change often)
Old February 28, 2008, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My experience with the two is this: Logitech is top quality and will last for years and years, they have a 5 year warranty even on their cheapies. Microsoft seems just as nice but quality of build just isn't there. My KB at home is a logitech cordless one that I've had for 6 years and works flawlessly. It has survived a few spills though the last one of Crown & Pepsi is proving a bit of a pain, the KB still works fine but some keys are sticky. When one sticks I pop the key off and clean it with solvent and a q-tip but it appears I'm not doing a very good job as it starts to stick again after a day or so but just not as bad. My KB at the office is a $9.99 logitech from Tiger Direct and has just as good of a quality feel.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old February 29, 2008, 01:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've also been pretty happy with any logitech Keyboards I've had over the years.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 29, 2008, 05:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

microsoft is the worst, logitech is a much better choice. also ncix has the saitek eclipse keyboard on sale this week for 34 bucks might want to check that one out as well.

Old February 29, 2008, 05:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

...and they're canadian!
Old February 29, 2008, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
...and they're canadian!
I was going to say something nice about my Microsoft Keyboard, but now that I know that Logitech is Canadian......hmmmm....Could someone give me advice too?
Old February 29, 2008, 11:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I thought they were canadian - they have headquarters in California and missisauga, Ont- at least I've been told they were a canadian company
Old February 29, 2008, 12:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

My experience has always been that Microsoft hardware is top quality. My friend's office is full of MS Natural Pro boards that have been in use for years with no problems. That said, Logitech also makes high quality stuff.

I would suggest you head over to the local Staples or a computer store where you can actually try them out. Some of the Logitech keyboards have a different feel. They are kind of 'squishy' and I do not much care for that.

Also check out the key layout. The logitech you linked to has the new style of verticle insert-del-home-end keys and some people really do not like that. YMMV
Old February 29, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

On further research, Logitech was founded in '81 in switzerland and was bought in march of last year by Anoto Group AB of Sweden- not sure what the canadian connection is
Old February 29, 2008, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have an MS keyboard and it is solid; MS Comfort Curve 3000. I love it and I think it's only $15 at BB or FS right now. Been using it for about one year now and other than some of the paint wearing off on the internet hot key I have zero complaints and nothing but love for this baby!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE