Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Peripherals (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/)
-   -   Cheap 5.1 headset (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/47197-cheap-5-1-headset.html)

JJThomp October 10, 2011 01:49 PM

Cheap 5.1 headset

Hey guys I'm looking for a cheap decent 5.1 headset, I'm not an audiophile or anything but I would like to hear where things are coming from in games so the 5.1 is important. Also i don't want any problems with the mic, it needs to be clear but not top notch.

Slik October 11, 2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJThomp (Post 556250)
Hey guys I'm looking for a cheap decent 5.1 headset, I'm not an audiophile or anything but I would like to hear where things are coming from in games so the 5.1 is important. Also i don't want any problems with the mic, it needs to be clear but not top notch.

How cheap is cheap? To get a half decent 5.1 you should save about $100, or a bit more. You get what you pay for. Tritton,Roccat,CM Sirus,Turtle beach etc. all have VERY good sets in the $100 range. It's well worth waiting until you have a few extra bucks. If you want to REALLY step out,then take a look at Psyko Audio. You can get a set of Krypton's for a little over $100. Good luck, and let us know what you decided to do.

martin_metal_88 October 11, 2011 02:43 PM

Many 5.1 headset are junk, cheap are just worst. 100-110 is a minimum for a decent 5.1 headset.

JMCD October 11, 2011 02:52 PM

Refurbished Logitech G35 for $70 is about the best sub $100 deal you can find. The above 2 have it right, most 5.1s suck. Canada Computers | Headphones/Headsets | Logitech G35 Surround Sound Headset (Refurbished) - 7.1 Surround Sound, Dolby Technology, 40mm Laser-Tuned Speaker Drivers, Neodymium, Digital USB Connection (981-000116R)

Slik October 11, 2011 03:45 PM

JMCD found a pretty good deal for you. I'm not a fan of USB heaphones, nor am I a fan of anything 'refurbished". However,for that price,you can't go wrong and you may be satisfied til you can save a bit more money for a really good set of headphones. I'm not saying you're cheap or broke, I'm just sayin. Again, Good luck!

Pabz0r545 October 11, 2011 04:34 PM

I got a pair of Corsair HS1's for 50 dollars on sale marked down from 95 at Memory Express. Not sure if they have one locally for you but you can order from online. They support 5.1 to 7.1.

jcmaz October 11, 2011 04:44 PM

^ Corsair HS1's don't have 5.1 sound. They can only reproduce 5.1 to 7.1 sounds.

Linky: Gaming Audio Series

JJThomp October 11, 2011 04:50 PM

I was hoping for around $70 but I'll just save, it isn't a problem thats why I only took 3 days off this summer so I could afford to drink and buy a new computer lol I will just refrain from hitting the bar twice this weekend. Never been a fan of refurbs, why buy something that used to be broken. Do you guys think it is worth it?
Also I'm not using a sound card only onboard will I be able to put out 7.1? Can they put out 5.1 if thats all i have?

Edit just looked up my mobo it can put out 8 channels so I'm assuming 7.1 is 8 channels correct?

Edit 2: on second thought I bought a 40oz of whisky for $13 in the states... I think that means I already have saved enough lol

Edit 3: any specific models other than the g35?

Pabz0r545 October 11, 2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmaz (Post 556611)
^ Corsair HS1's don't have 5.1 sound. They can only reproduce 5.1 to 7.1 sounds.

Linky: Gaming Audio Series

Interesting that is where I checked out the specs for the HS1. I didn't really read it just skimmed thru it. SO what does this mean they reproduce the sounds? It artificially simulates it?

JJThomp October 11, 2011 07:48 PM

Would corsair HS1's be worth $50 considering they are regularly $100? Even though they use only 2 drivers?

I just wanted to add I wont be listening to music on them, I have some nice sennheiser headphones for that and a 5.1 speaker system (that I only have set up in 2.1 actually no place to put my other speakers.