Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 4, 2011, 07:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Best USB3 PCIe Card?

I originally had one of these which was free from TigerDirect: EVGA | Products which is NEC-based.

And then I recently bought this: Newegg.ca - SYBA USB 3.0 PCI-e Card with HDD Power Connector (3 + 1 Ports) Model SD-PEX20080 which is VIA-based.

Neither work. The EVGA one won't even detect my WD My Passport 1TB USB3 drive. The Syba one at least detects it but only temporarily. Any large file transfers, it just randomly dies and becomes undetectable until I restart. It seems to be able to handle small file transfers though.

I don't believe the drive itself is faulty though since it's fine on USB2 and works fine on the NEC-based USB3 in my Samsung QX412 laptop. That does have a newer firmware though than my EVGA card. I've tried to flash the EVGA card, but the installer just spirals out of control spawning non-stop cmd processes which ends up eating up all 12GB of RAM until my computer becomes unusable.

Do I just have really bad luck with hardware? Or do you think it's related to Windows?
Either way, what cards have you had success with (if any)?
Old October 4, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I've used most on the market and the best I have ever used was the now discontinued Asus U3S6 card. IMHO NEC > everything else.

DL the latest drivers and firmware from here for your evga card:
SONY/NEC/RENESAS Drivers & Firmwares

Could be as simple as old drivers installed. I would install them. THEN go into device manager and uninstall it. Reboot and THEN re-install the drivers to make sure the new ones are being used. THEN upgrade the firmware. IF it still does it, yank and update the firmware on a dif rig.
I too did have a Seagate branded card (IIRC) do something similar. I yanked it, updated the firmware on different system and it was right as rain afterwords in the original system. Could literally be a case of older firmware not working properly with your mobo.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 4, 2011, 08:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, already been using that site for my drivers and firmware.

I'll try flashing it in another PC though, just been too lazy.
Old October 5, 2011, 06:18 AM
Allstar

I have the Startech card that's NEC based and have mixed results. My nexstar enclosure work great....no issues at all. I also have a WD USB3 2.5" that keeps dropping all the time. I've read that there are a few issues with the WD models though. I have another cable which I'll need to try and see if that's the issue as that's been reported also.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 5, 2011, 02:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Seems to either be my motherboard or Windows...

Put the EVGA card in another PC, WD HDD works flawlessly. Also ran the firmware updater and it worked fine too, though it seems it didn't upgrade anything since it was the same version.
Old October 7, 2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

How do you know which chipset it uses?

I was curious and if I buy an Asrock board, it'll have the Etron chipset and I want one with the NEC chipset. I'd probably buy one of these PCIe cards just to get one with the NEC chipset. But, not sure how to tell which one has the NEC chipset.

Quote:
I have the Startech card that's NEC based
Which one is that?

I thought maybe cards on ebay might be cheap but not sure how to distinguish the chipsets. I bet, most of the time, they're not listed or acknowledged. So, you have to know the model number you need?
Old October 7, 2011, 11:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hey JD, I got a Gigabyte one if you want to try it and see if it really is your comp or windows having some compatibility issue.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 7, 2011, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The $13 one I bought from Deal Extreme has a NEC chip if you want to give that a try
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old October 7, 2011, 01:46 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post

I was curious and if I buy an Asrock board, it'll have the Etron chipset and I want one with the NEC chipset. I'd probably buy one of these PCIe cards just to get one with the NEC chipset. But, not sure how to tell which one has the NEC chipset.

Which one is that?

I thought maybe cards on ebay might be cheap but not sure how to distinguish the chipsets. I bet, most of the time, they're not listed or acknowledged. So, you have to know the model number you need?

It's this one...
USB 3.0 Card - PCI Express SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Adapter Card | 2 Port | StarTech.com Canada

Looks like it's not available at Canada Computers anywhere and I don't see it at Tiger Direct either.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 7, 2011, 01:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
Motherboard manufacturer's will list which chip they use in the specifications.

If your buying a card though, you can look at photos of the card, or find the drivers for it to determine what it uses. Sometimes it's listed in the specs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Hey JD, I got a Gigabyte one if you want to try it and see if it really is your comp or windows having some compatibility issue.
It's alright, reinstalling Windows seemed to fix it. Minor hassle but whatever.