Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Peripherals (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/)
-   -   Best USB3 PCIe Card? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/47013-best-usb3-pcie-card.html)

JD October 4, 2011 06:26 PM

Best USB3 PCIe Card?

I originally had one of these which was free from TigerDirect: EVGA | Products which is NEC-based.

And then I recently bought this: Newegg.ca - SYBA USB 3.0 PCI-e Card with HDD Power Connector (3 + 1 Ports) Model SD-PEX20080 which is VIA-based.

Neither work. The EVGA one won't even detect my WD My Passport 1TB USB3 drive. The Syba one at least detects it but only temporarily. Any large file transfers, it just randomly dies and becomes undetectable until I restart. It seems to be able to handle small file transfers though.

I don't believe the drive itself is faulty though since it's fine on USB2 and works fine on the NEC-based USB3 in my Samsung QX412 laptop. That does have a newer firmware though than my EVGA card. I've tried to flash the EVGA card, but the installer just spirals out of control spawning non-stop cmd processes which ends up eating up all 12GB of RAM until my computer becomes unusable.

Do I just have really bad luck with hardware? Or do you think it's related to Windows?
Either way, what cards have you had success with (if any)?

AkG October 4, 2011 06:41 PM

I've used most on the market and the best I have ever used was the now discontinued Asus U3S6 card. IMHO NEC > everything else.

DL the latest drivers and firmware from here for your evga card:
SONY/NEC/RENESAS Drivers & Firmwares

Could be as simple as old drivers installed. I would install them. THEN go into device manager and uninstall it. Reboot and THEN re-install the drivers to make sure the new ones are being used. THEN upgrade the firmware. IF it still does it, yank and update the firmware on a dif rig.
I too did have a Seagate branded card (IIRC) do something similar. I yanked it, updated the firmware on different system and it was right as rain afterwords in the original system. Could literally be a case of older firmware not working properly with your mobo.

JD October 4, 2011 07:07 PM

Yeah, already been using that site for my drivers and firmware.

I'll try flashing it in another PC though, just been too lazy.

Nodscene October 5, 2011 05:18 AM

I have the Startech card that's NEC based and have mixed results. My nexstar enclosure work great....no issues at all. I also have a WD USB3 2.5" that keeps dropping all the time. I've read that there are a few issues with the WD models though. I have another cable which I'll need to try and see if that's the issue as that's been reported also.

JD October 5, 2011 01:45 PM

Seems to either be my motherboard or Windows...

Put the EVGA card in another PC, WD HDD works flawlessly. Also ran the firmware updater and it worked fine too, though it seems it didn't upgrade anything since it was the same version.

Borg October 7, 2011 10:10 AM

How do you know which chipset it uses?

I was curious and if I buy an Asrock board, it'll have the Etron chipset and I want one with the NEC chipset. I'd probably buy one of these PCIe cards just to get one with the NEC chipset. But, not sure how to tell which one has the NEC chipset.

Quote:

I have the Startech card that's NEC based
Which one is that? :biggrin:

I thought maybe cards on ebay might be cheap but not sure how to distinguish the chipsets. I bet, most of the time, they're not listed or acknowledged. So, you have to know the model number you need?

Soultribunal October 7, 2011 10:27 AM

Hey JD, I got a Gigabyte one if you want to try it and see if it really is your comp or windows having some compatibility issue.

-ST

Lpfan4ever October 7, 2011 10:35 AM

The $13 one I bought from Deal Extreme has a NEC chip if you want to give that a try :whistle:

Nodscene October 7, 2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borg (Post 555526)

I was curious and if I buy an Asrock board, it'll have the Etron chipset and I want one with the NEC chipset. I'd probably buy one of these PCIe cards just to get one with the NEC chipset. But, not sure how to tell which one has the NEC chipset.

Which one is that? :biggrin:

I thought maybe cards on ebay might be cheap but not sure how to distinguish the chipsets. I bet, most of the time, they're not listed or acknowledged. So, you have to know the model number you need?

It's this one...
USB 3.0 Card - PCI Express SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Adapter Card | 2 Port | StarTech.com Canada

Looks like it's not available at Canada Computers anywhere and I don't see it at Tiger Direct either.

JD October 7, 2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borg (Post 555526)

Motherboard manufacturer's will list which chip they use in the specifications.

If your buying a card though, you can look at photos of the card, or find the drivers for it to determine what it uses. Sometimes it's listed in the specs too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 555531)
Hey JD, I got a Gigabyte one if you want to try it and see if it really is your comp or windows having some compatibility issue.

It's alright, reinstalling Windows seemed to fix it. Minor hassle but whatever.