Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2011, 06:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default best gaming/multimedia mechanical keyboard?

I am looking to add a new keyboard to my new PC, I have decided to try the mechanical keyboards as I understand a lot of people enjoy using them for gaming and generally they are supposedly more enjoyable to type on.

My main focus will be gaming: BF3 and SC2 for now, then when diablo comes out that will be the main one.

I will also be using the keybaord in day to day use... therefor i thought it would be nice to have some multimedia buttons for music and such ( i dont watch videos on pc to much... i have media server for that)

Surfing, browsing and some school work.

I have narrowed down to a few options:

Thermaltake meka g1
metadot das model S
filco
ducky
steelseries 6gv2
razer blackwidow ( but from many reviews i understand the build quality is sub par..)

Also whats the best switches?

what do you guys think...
Old September 27, 2011, 06:17 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Razer Blackwidow and I find the build quality excellent, on your list most are pretty good i.e. Filco, Steelseries, Meta

Another Guy From Canada
Old October 1, 2011, 01:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

any other feedback> bump
Old October 1, 2011, 01:55 PM

My System Specs

I never ever used multimedia keys so I can't help with that. I don't think any Filco or Ducky has multimedia keys though. Can't ever remember seeing one w/ a function (fn) key.

I can comment on keyswitches though. My personal preference is definitely Cherry blue switches. They have great weight to them, have great tactile response, and sound great. However if you live w/ someone else and will be typing while other people are in the room it more than likely will piss them off. You can get dampeners for the bottom of the key cap which will make it quieter. But even then it will be loud. Browns are another choice if you want a tactile key, but want something quieter. It will still be somewhat loud unless you get key dampeners since bottoming out the cap produces a rather loud 'clack'. Cherry black switches are my least favourite. They are a non-tactile key and honestly not great to type with. They are still 11ty times better than a membrane or scissor switch but still not great.
Old October 1, 2011, 02:06 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Razor has a new Black Widow ultimate stealth edition. It uses the mx cherry brown keys, quieter and lighter than the blacks. I can't find it in stock at any retailers yet but I will order one when I can.
Old November 9, 2011, 01:40 AM
Rookie

Squeetard, the Stealth edition can only be ordered direct from Razer. So if you want it you'll have to get it shipped from them.
Old November 10, 2011, 04:25 AM
Rookie

I have tried the Steelseries 6gv2 (Cherry MX Black) and the Qumax Xarmor 9plus (Cherry MX Blue). I had a preference for the Steelseries, although I am used to the large right Shift key. The Steelseries' layout has a smaller Shift key with one more key (hard to explain). That turned me off more than the switches, which I found pleasant to use.

The Qumax is a OK keyboard, although the tactile feel of the Cherry MX Blue aren't my type at all. It is loud too. But it is a matter of personal preferences. I really suggest you find retailers near you with mech keyboards in stock (and on display) so you can try them.
Old November 10, 2011, 05:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I have the steel series 6gv2. It has the multi media keys. however to use them need to press the function button on the keyboard. I have been very pleased with the performance. However the keyboard is far from quiet when typing alot.