Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2008, 11:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default The King of Keyboards

If any of you are oldschool like me you may hold dear the sound of the clickety-clackety IBM keyboards of yesteryear.

These keyboards were durable and solid performers, albeit a little bit noisy.

I found a place to get one, and with a trackpoint to boot. Many have a love/hate relationship with the trackpoint but if you type more than you mouse it's a god send, you don't have to move your fingers from the home keys to accomplish a mousing task, just a little stretch.

In any case this is were I found them... Old issue is that, as with everything cool, it sources from the USA, good old border crossing delays and duty.

Endurapro

If anyone here knows of a local (Montreal) or even canadian distributor please don't hesitate to let me know.
Old February 13, 2008, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thats a nice looking keyboard! Dont know why but I had flashbacks of Knightrider when I saw it. Anyway shame about the border issue.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old February 13, 2008, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Some good info on those old model M's for anyone interested.

IBM model M keyboards

Model M keyboard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 29, 2008, 02:01 PM
MVP

If you like that feel, these keyboards are quite excellent:

Das Keyboard - The Blank Keyboard for Demanding Users.
RAPTOR-GAMING: RAPTOR-GAMING K1
Old February 29, 2008, 02:35 PM
MVP
F@H

Speaking of keyboard.

One neat trick I learned over the years for the basic keyboard. You know how grungie and dirty they get. Even to the point it still works but you are going to replace it because it looks disgusting.

Well if you are going to replace it and have nothing to loose... Try this,

Put it in the dishwasher... Yip in the dishwasher, no detergent and by it self, run it through the short cycle and then let it air dry for a day.

The result is a pristine keyboard that still works.

Now like I say this is for the basic keyboard, not wireless or a gaming board with led screens or anything fancy, just the bare boned wired keyboard. I have done this a number of times with my old boards and they still work great. In fact the keyboard on my daughters PC is the one I purchased in 1997. Clean as a whistle and works like a charm, been in the dishwasher at least 5 times.
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g

Old February 29, 2008, 02:52 PM
MVP

Does this work for any keyboard or just waterproof/resist ones?
Old February 29, 2008, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

its kind of funny everyone talks about keyboards or mice I never really notice a huge difference between keyboards just as long as the quality is close to each other. an example is the mouse I used to have was a mx518 (logitec) well all of these people that I game with are all going on about lazer mice and get the Razor or get this or get that all of these expensive mice I paid 20 dollars for my mouse brand new at staples they spent 60 + dollars for the mice they used I tryed them out there is no noticeable difference I went out and bought an eclipse (saitek) keyboard and the only difference that I can tell between the Saitek keyboard and my 5 year old Dell keyboard is two things one is that it is usb and the other is that the keys are lit other then that they are exactly the same lol I did also go out and buy a ocy laser mouse which is ok but it also is to small for my hand and I had already given my mx518 optical mouse away, I am thinking of just trading for it straight across
Old February 29, 2008, 05:32 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Does this work for any keyboard or just waterproof/resist ones?
I do it with just your average everyday keyboard. No bells and whistles, not even sure they make water resistant ones. Like I say though, just to be safe only do it if you are considering replacing it, after all it is electronics. Be sure you let it air dry fully for at least 24hrs before use.
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g

Old March 3, 2008, 01:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Send them an e-mail and ask if they have a Canadian retailer or know of one.

Also check out the electronics and computer "surplus" stores in your area. Above All Electronics in Toronto had a bunch of French Canadian layout old style keyboards last time I was there (although they did not have the touchpoint). Often they cost $5.
Old March 3, 2008, 02:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasheKicker View Post
I do it with just your average everyday keyboard. No bells and whistles, not even sure they make water resistant ones. Like I say though, just to be safe only do it if you are considering replacing it, after all it is electronics. Be sure you let it air dry fully for at least 24hrs before use.
I miss my Logitec MX duo keyboard, I could tear it down, clean it and rebuild it good as new. The problem with Cashekicker's method is that this keyboard would have damp spots between the circuit sheets forever....

Picasa Web Albums - Gregor - Keyboard Tear...