Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2011, 09:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Thanks JD, I was actually waiting to see how you like em before I grab a couple. How do the eyes feel? Since I assume you just got them care to comment them after you have used them for a bit. Do you find you need the 2 on your U2711? Could you unplug one and let me know how that is?

I know questions, questions.

I assume they are sticky backed and if I dont have to stick 2 on then that would be better. But if one isnt enough then I'll do 2.

Thanks.
Well one would only really illuminate the top of the monitor. Mainly due to the adjustable stand on the U2711, you can't really stick is mid-monitor. Even if you had a fixed 27", I don't think it would provide enough illumination.

And the tape on them is pretty sticky. Don't see any major issues there, but monitors do get pretty warm so we'll see how it holds up. The cable also tends to "pull" on the LEDs/tape so that could be an issue too. The cable should of been attached at a 90 degree angle IMO rather than coming out straight with the LED strip.

For <$10 though, I'd say just buy two and use what you find necessary. I've only used it for a few hours last night so I can't really comment much on the eye strain. I know when I'm tired though, the monitor hurts my eyes so we'll see if that's any better on like Friday/Saturday when I'm up late

I'll try to remember to take a picture of the back of the monitor so you can see where I mounted them.
Old August 18, 2011, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Well one would only really illuminate the top of the monitor. Mainly due to the adjustable stand on the U2711, you can't really stick is mid-monitor. Even if you had a fixed 27", I don't think it would provide enough illumination.

And the tape on them is pretty sticky. Don't see any major issues there, but monitors do get pretty warm so we'll see how it holds up. The cable also tends to "pull" on the LEDs/tape so that could be an issue too. The cable should of been attached at a 90 degree angle IMO rather than coming out straight with the LED strip.

For <$10 though, I'd say just buy two and use what you find necessary. I've only used it for a few hours last night so I can't really comment much on the eye strain. I know when I'm tired though, the monitor hurts my eyes so we'll see if that's any better on like Friday/Saturday when I'm up late

I'll try to remember to take a picture of the back of the monitor so you can see where I mounted them.
Awesome thanks JD, yes it is the same monitor, u2711, so that solves the 2 or 1 question. You hit the nail on the head with the sticky comment over time, I dont really want to stick them on only to have then fall off and be left with a sticky residue on my u2711. I think I will add them to my next order but I still wouldnt mind if you could comment after a few hours of gaming/surfing at night though. No need to take any pics of them mounted ( you can just you dont have to for me).
Thank for taking the time JD, may all your nighttime gaming be strain free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 18, 2011, 05:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I bought 3, 1 each for my 24" monitors. If you want pics I would be happy to post

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old August 18, 2011, 07:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've been looking into LED strips for a mod i'm planning and these look like they will fit the bill ... right size anyways ... quick question though. Is the USB connector just a standard sized USB connector that sticks out 2 inches or so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
good idea, I may buy one to light my G15 a bit more. maybe those USB port on the KB will be used for something one day XD
I thought the USB ports on the G15 weren't powered. Could be wrong ... it's been a while since I used mine.
Old August 19, 2011, 12:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I've been looking into LED strips for a mod i'm planning and these look like they will fit the bill ... right size anyways ... quick question though. Is the USB connector just a standard sized USB connector that sticks out 2 inches or so?
Yeah, same as you'd find on most mice I'd say.
Old October 1, 2011, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Was in staples the other day waiting for the wife and picked up on of these from the bargain bin for 2 bux.
10 LED USB Light PC Laptop Desk Lamp Blue with Fan - Video

Minus the fan, a little All Round and a bolt to attach it to the mounting holes on the back and volia.

Now to find another use for the LED's I ordered from DX....

Must say helps with eye strain immensely IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton