Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Peripherals (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/)
-   -   Your experience with a mechanical keyboard (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/45028-your-experience-mechanical-keyboard.html)

thorn July 19, 2011 06:03 PM

Your experience with a mechanical keyboard

I have been considering for some time getting a mechanical keyboard and figured now is as good a time as any other.

Now my issue is I am not quite sure what kind of switch to get. So I wanted to get HWC members' experiences with the various switches, in terms of comfort and gaming.

I have been looking primarily at getting either a Steelseries 6GV2 or 7G (so MX Blacks) or a Metadot Das Keyboard Silent (MX Browns). My main issue is I have read that Blacks are stiffer and are more likely to lead to fatigue but are considered to be more for gaming (also the quietest, of the Cherry switches at least). Browns require less force but are slightly noisier (though I don't think the noise will be of that much concern) and are a sort of middle ground between the "gaming" blacks and the "typist" blues.

I unfortunately don't know anyone with a mechanical keyboard, and while BB does carry some mechanical keyboards, they didn't have any on display for me to try out.

Jackquelegs July 19, 2011 06:47 PM

Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

I'm currently using the Razer black widow ultimate with cherry blues. Great for typing, but it's LOUUD. For gaming it's decent, but the tactile click may need to get some used to

thorn July 20, 2011 03:36 AM

Yeah, I have read that forum post/article, just wanted to get a wider array of experiences without having to read 1000 pages of posts.

attonbitusira July 20, 2011 05:09 AM

Holy smokes that was quite the guide. I had only ever heard of the Happy Hacker but now I'm intrigued.

francisw19 July 20, 2011 08:27 AM

Yeah...that mechanical keybaord guide is great! :thumb:

I'm certainly not a mechanical keyboard connoisseur, but I'll pass along a few thoughts. I've had the Steelseries 6Gv2 (MX Black) and now have the Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue). I don't have any experience with the MX Browns, though. I think between the MX Blacks and the MX Blues, I do prefer the MX Blues. The MX Black keys were good to game on since there was no tactile feedback. But I do agree, the actuation force is just a bit too high for me with long periods of use and this is the reason why I no longer use it. However, it was a great keybaord in terms of build quality.

With the MX Blues on the Blackwidow, the actuation force is definitely lower - not so low that you'd accedently hit keys, but it's enough that I can type on it for some time without feeling fatigued. I think the MX Blues are OK for gaming...I mostly play RPGs and FPS games and haven't really been bothered by the tactile feedback on the keys. However, the switches are definitly louder...I usually game with headphones, so it's not a big deal. But, if there's someone else in the room, I can definitely see them getting a bit annoyed. :bleh:

Hope this helps!

thorn July 20, 2011 01:01 PM

Accidentally hitting keys is a bit of a concern I have with Browns, as I believe they have a slightly lower activation force than the Blues. Sometimes I wish things were more black and white, instead of shades of grey.

lowfat July 20, 2011 02:23 PM

I've had a number of mechanical keyboards over the past few years. A keyboard w/ cherry blues would be my suggestion if you type a lot. I honestly don't use it for gaming since I use a Logitech G13. Blacks are not all that great to type w/. There is no tactile feedback to them and they don't have a pleasant sound to them. IBM Model M's with their buckling spring key switch is actually my favourite. But they are generally ugly and HUGE keyboards.

thorn July 20, 2011 03:59 PM

What's your experience with mx brown's?

Andy July 20, 2011 04:09 PM

Wow ... that guide is very thorough ... I now know too much about mechanical keyboards ... lol

lowfat July 20, 2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorn (Post 534868)
What's your experience with mx brown's?

I haven't used them and likely won't. They are a tactical key switch but non-clicky. I find the audible clicks generally pleasing. I live alone so I don't really care how loud they are.