Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20, 2011, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Cooler Master's Storm series of peripherals and cases are marketed towards the gamer market and they're now taking the next logical step with a headset. The Storm Sirus isn't your typical set of headphones since it incorporates a true 5.1 surround design, an adjustable mic, the option to use either USB or analog connections and a robust software package. But will this be enough to allow it to compete against the firmly entrenched competition?

Read More Here
Where can I buy a set? I googled and couldn't find them for sale anywhere.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 20, 2011, 11:27 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

This was a pre-release review. ETA is August at retail.
Old August 15, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well,here it is in the middle of Aug. and I still can't find a place to even Pre order. Any more info anyone? Thanks.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 15, 2011, 02:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Well,here it is in the middle of Aug. and I still can't find a place to even Pre order. Any more info anyone? Thanks.
They just went live in the CM store last week, retailers should be receiving theirs soon.
CM Store
I know that there has been a shortage of units right now that will be cleared up within a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 17, 2011, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
They just went live in the CM store last week, retailers should be receiving theirs soon.
CM Store
I know that there has been a shortage of units right now that will be cleared up within a month.
Thanks for the info. I'll go there and order if available.
Old August 17, 2011, 11:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
CM Store
Just ordered them. Should be delivered by Tuesday next week. I'll be able to give an opinion after I have played with them for a few hours. A lot of people may think I'm crazy for buying ANOTHER set of headphones,my wife included,but how else can I compare them to my Psyko's and the other sets of 5.1 cans I have. I doubt very much they can come close to Psyko,but we shall see. I plan on giving them to my wife as she finds the Psyko's too heavy after a bit of gaming time. Thanks again for the info you provided.

Last edited by Slik; August 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: add info.
Old August 17, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I prefer the CMs to the original PAs. The original PAs are overrated, but I can not - and will not - comment on the new version of them. Maybe Psyko learned from their first mistakes and made a set of cans that are really unique.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 17, 2011, 01:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I prefer the CMs to the original PAs. The original PAs are overrated, but I can not - and will not - comment on the new version of them. Maybe Psyko learned from their first mistakes and made a set of cans that are really unique.
You are correct Akg. Once you hear the Carbon series of PA,it's easy to see that the originals were over rated. I believe that Psyko DID learn they made a mistake with the first set and they learned that primarily from their customers input. You mentioned the CMs are better than the original Psyko. Do you have both sets? In what way did you find the CMs superior? I know price is one thing,but I'm curious as to your findings.
Old August 17, 2011, 01:34 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup I have both the CM and the original PAs. The CMs are superior in the following ways (personal opinion only, please dont take it as gospel):
1) Weight. The CMs are not as heavy as a log, and the weight is not on top of your head but on the sides. HUGE difference in neck fatigue after 8hr gaming marathons
2) Tweakability. The CMS speaker "location" is easily adjustable. The PAs are not
3) Both are "true 5.1 analog" BUT the CMs can be used in USB mode and that usb controller is killer feature.
4) Music reproduction. The PA are less than optimal at music (both 5.1 and stereo). The CMs may not be audiophile grade but they are in comparison to the PAs.
5) 2.1 sound is extremely less than optimal on the PAs. The CMs are very good when used as a stereo headset.
6) MIC. The PA's mic is not as precise nor as good as the CMs.
7) Looks. The CMs have classic good looks. The PAs do not and look down right outlandish in comparison.
8) Noise leakage. Even with the fixed version I have, the PAs are louder for other peeps in a room than the CMs.
9) Bass. The CMs actually HAVE bass. Its not great but its eons better than the thuds that the PAs produce (and this is saying something as the bass of the CM is its weakest link).
10) Movies. The Cms are actually useable for movies. The PAs are not.
11) Customer service. CM has great CS. From all reports I have heard...PA is less than optimal at this crucial aspect.
12) Good, bad, or indifferent CM supports all reviews on their products. As long as a review is fair and professional they respect your opinion.

I could go on, as this is just "off the top of my head" but you get the point.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 18, 2011, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yup I have both the CM and the original PAs. The CMs are superior in the following ways (personal opinion only, please dont take it as gospel):
1) Weight. The CMs are not as heavy as a log, and the weight is not on top of your head but on the sides. HUGE difference in neck fatigue after 8hr gaming marathons
2) Tweakability. The CMS speaker "location" is easily adjustable. The PAs are not
3) Both are "true 5.1 analog" BUT the CMs can be used in USB mode and that usb controller is killer feature.
4) Music reproduction. The PA are less than optimal at music (both 5.1 and stereo). The CMs may not be audiophile grade but they are in comparison to the PAs.
5) 2.1 sound is extremely less than optimal on the PAs. The CMs are very good when used as a stereo headset.
6) MIC. The PA's mic is not as precise nor as good as the CMs.
7) Looks. The CMs have classic good looks. The PAs do not and look down right outlandish in comparison.
8) Noise leakage. Even with the fixed version I have, the PAs are louder for other peeps in a room than the CMs.
9) Bass. The CMs actually HAVE bass. Its not great but its eons better than the thuds that the PAs produce (and this is saying something as the bass of the CM is its weakest link).
10) Movies. The Cms are actually useable for movies. The PAs are not.
11) Customer service. CM has great CS. From all reports I have heard...PA is less than optimal at this crucial aspect.
12) Good, bad, or indifferent CM supports all reviews on their products. As long as a review is fair and professional they respect your opinion.

I could go on, as this is just "off the top of my head" but you get the point.
Now I'm even MORE interested in the CMs. I checked my "order status" and it still says "processing". I paid for express delivery that said two or three days for delivery but they are not shipped yet. Nothing said about out of stock etc, so I guess I have to wait for a while. I will provide my opinions once I have them and played with them for a bit. The info you provided made me feel a little better about ordering the CMs. Maybe this is the set that will beat Psyko. I have tried nearly EVERY other set of 5.1 analog cans,so what do I have to lose. Thanks again AkG.

Last edited by Slik; August 18, 2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling