Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8, 2011, 05:41 AM
Rookie

Default New Keyboard

As well as my HUGE problem and not being able to pick a damn tower for my new build. I am also in the market for a new keyboard. Right now I have the logitech elite (one of the best keyboards I have ever used)

This being the one of the best keyboards I have used, it makes picking a new keyboard rather hard. What I am looking for is

-Everyday use
-Ergonomical (comfort mostly)
-Backlit preferably
-Responsive keys

I have looked at Eclipse II and III and I have no solid idea if the board is worth getting or not people are very split on these boards.
I have also looked at Logitech g110 this seems to be a good choice, but seems a bit un-comfortable.
Then there is the Razer Lycosa and this board I am neither here or there with it, just another one I was looking at.

What are you guys using or any suggestions for me? Thanks
Old June 10, 2011, 03:08 PM
Rookie

Have you tried any mechanical keyboards?
I use this one with cherry brown switches and it is the best keyboard i have ever used.
Metadot Das Keyboard Professional Model S Silent Mechanical Keyboard
NCIX.com - Buy Metadot Das Keyboard Professional Model S Silent Mechanical Keyboard - Metadot - DASK3PROMS1SI (8 55800 00118 0) - in Canada
Old June 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

backlit I guess you will want to look at the Logitech g25? As quiet keyboard I have an old HP keyboard on PS2 I paid 3$ for it from a place that sells old systems.
Old June 11, 2011, 10:01 PM
Rookie

All keyboard are have responsive keys. I don't think ergonomic keyboards have backlit.
Old June 13, 2011, 08:26 AM
Top Prospect

+1 to krypt0nite's suggestion for a mechanical keyboard.

The Steelseries 6Gv2 I have is the first mechancial KB that I've ever purchased. I previously owned a Logitech G510. The G510 was a decent keyboard and worked well for me. But, I later moved to the 6Gv2 and absolutely love it...the build quality is superb and the keys feel really good. There's no doubt in my mind, this is a keyboard that's built to last.

Unfortunately, there's not too many back-lit mechanical boards out there. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Deck keyboards or the new Razer mechanical keyboard are back-lit.
Old June 14, 2011, 02:33 AM
Allstar

Razer Black Widow Ultimate, while it has all the options a gamer needs, is a screamer when typing. Steel Series is more quite.
Old June 18, 2011, 11:43 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Mechanical Keyboards are certainly nice, no doubt about it. But I personally dont find them to be the ONLY option.

For a great keyboard that doesn't break the bank, try the Micrsoft Sidewinder X4.

I love it. Its very standard in design. Keys are normal layout, size and shape. Exactly what I wanted. Ive been typing on a PC since I can remember, and I didnt want any short backspace keys or extra "gadget" keys in bad spots.

It does have media keys, its backlit, and has 6 macro keys, with 3 banks, so 18 available macros.

For a great keyboard that costs a bit more, try the Logitech G510.

Also a standard layout, shape and size. Which, IMO, is great. Large amount of specific macro keys too. Definitely a bit on the pricey side, but a nice keyboard none the less.

For a great keyboard that is mechanical:

Razer Black Widow Ultimate

Steel Series 7G(but, IMO, that useless surround/wrist rest needs to go)

On the other side, if you're only looking for a good keyboard for gaming, and dont have typing needs outside of forum/email usage, you could use a RazerNostromo or Logitech G13. Ive got the Nostromo, and I absolutely love it. Used to game with the X4 keyboard, and had no complaints really.. But then I tried the nostromo. Took a little getting used too, but now I won't play without it. FPS, RPG, Action games.. Whatev. Its also awesome if you play MMOs, because the amount of Macros and profile sets you can have is crazy. One of the best things about the nostromo is something so simple, but.. Its allows you to use your thumb to do as much as six different things, whereas on a keyboard, your thumb is pretty much only going to be hitting the space bar.
Old June 19, 2011, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i too have a steel series sg6v2 and love it to bits. One of the better keyboards i have owned.