Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Peripherals (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/)
-   -   Steelseries 6Gv2 thoughts... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/43110-steelseries-6gv2-thoughts.html)

francisw19 May 6, 2011 09:10 AM

Steelseries 6Gv2 thoughts...

So, I have a chance to get a Steelseries 6Gv2 for a very good price (~$50). I've been thinking of going mechanical because of all the praise I've heard and that I don't really make much use of the G-keys on my Logitech G510.

What are your thoughts on this keyboard? I'm mainly interested in build-quality and durability. Personally, I'm OK going without the G-keys/macro keys...I'd just rather have no frills, quality keyboard.

Please let me know what you think.

lowfat May 6, 2011 09:45 AM

$50? Definitely grab it. I am not all that much of a fan of the Cherry mx black key switches, but they most definitely are leaps and bounds better than any membrane keyboard out there.

francisw19 May 6, 2011 09:50 AM

Thanks for the reply! Yeah...I'm thinking I may just go for it. If anyone has any other thoughts, feel free to comment. :biggrin:

lcdguy May 6, 2011 10:04 AM

i own one. And i love it.

francisw19 May 6, 2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcdguy (Post 512564)
i own one. And i love it.

Nice to hear! The only concerning bit I've heard is the keys sometimes pop off a bit too easy. Have you had issues with this?

lcdguy May 6, 2011 11:11 AM

not yet. But then again i don't smash on my keyboard :biggrin:

francisw19 May 6, 2011 11:16 AM

LOL...fair enough. I don't think it'll be an issue, but it's just a few odd people have complained about it.

MacJunky May 6, 2011 12:23 PM

I was also looking at getting one of these to replace my sorta-hybrid-but-technically-still-membrane keyboard. (15 years and still feels better than any new normal membrane 'board)

YukonTrooper May 6, 2011 12:42 PM

As an FPS player that uses crouch a lot, I'm not a fan of the mechanical keyboards. The extra needed power to push and hold down on the buttons compared to a membrane keyboard can get tiresome for my pinky over long sessions. I also find membrane more comfortable to type on. Finally, there is no performance advantage of mechanical over membrane for FPS, so all-in-all I stay clear of mechanical. If I had to have mechanical, I'd go with a board with the more forgiving brown switches.

francisw19 May 6, 2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YukonTrooper (Post 512634)
As an FPS player that uses crouch a lot, I'm not a fan of the mechanical keyboards. The extra needed power to push and hold down on the buttons compared to a membrane keyboard can get tiresome for my pinky over long sessions. I also find membrane more comfortable to type on. Finally, there is no performance advantage of mechanical over membrane for FPS, so all-in-all I stay clear of mechanical. If I had to have mechanical, I'd go with a board with the more forgiving brown switches.

Interesting thoughs...thanks for the reply!