Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2011, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
As an FPS player that uses crouch a lot, I'm not a fan of the mechanical keyboards. The extra needed power to push and hold down on the buttons compared to a membrane keyboard can get tiresome for my pinky over long sessions.
You need to start playing Ghost Recon and ARMA, those let you switch between three stances.(actually, the two GRAW games give you four options, but not the orig GR)

I do not know about others but I use my thumb for crouch.. I am still interested in getting one of these keyboards.
Old May 6, 2011, 06:10 PM
Top Prospect

OK...so, I just picked up the keyboard from the seller. I'm typing on it now and I'm quite impressed! Personally, I think the MX Black switches are OK as this is my first mechanical keyboard. They have some of the familiar feel of a rubber dome board, but feel much higher quality. I don't know if the MX Blues, for example, would have suited me right now. Maybe down the road, I can give some others switches a try.

Regardless, I really like the feel of these. I'm not sure how to describe it, but the keys have a real solid feel to them. Also, the keyboard itself feels really well built. I think when I'm not typing, this could double as a weapon of some kind.

Anyway...for $50 I'm quite happy. I don't think there would have been a much better deal out there for a keyboard of this quality.
Old May 6, 2011, 08:07 PM

My System Specs

For $50 it definitely is a fantastic mechanical keyboard to start with. I started w/ a 7G and loved it. Loved it until I purchased a Filco w/ Cherry mx blue key switches that is. But still a great purchase on your part.
Old May 6, 2011, 08:21 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
For $50 it definitely is a fantastic mechanical keyboard to start with. I started w/ a 7G and loved it. Loved it until I purchased a Filco w/ Cherry mx blue key switches that is. But still a great purchase on your part.
Thanks!
Old May 8, 2011, 04:12 PM
Rookie

Will be a great keyboard for gaming but not so much for typing (if you do a lot of typing). The keys take a little more effort to press and aren't as smooth and easy pressing as the mx blues or browns. For $50 this is a steal and a no brainer. Pick the keyboard up ASAP!! The keyboard is heavy and very well built. The only thing that may be rather annoying is the letters get dirty from your fingers. My A,S,D keys went from white to brown because of the dirt.
Old May 8, 2011, 04:17 PM

My System Specs

Well I agree it won't type near as nice as tactile key switches. But the improvement over scissor-switch keys or rubber membranes is very immense.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:53 PM
Restricted Poster

I have it, kinda like it, but some issues with it. The keys have a "half in, half out" state which leads to me sometimes double typing a letter, happens especially with the space bar. That and the lack of wrist rest are downsides. I've had quite a few cramps in my wrist (especially playing Mortal Kombat on emulators ;D), and they were quite painful. It's a very durable keyboard, but the keys gradually become greasy (even though I never use my PC while eating).

My opinion is to spend the extra $20 and get a Razer Blackwidow. Much better for typing.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctech View Post
I have it, kinda like it, but some issues with it. The keys have a "half in, half out" state which leads to me sometimes double typing a letter, happens especially with the space bar. That and the lack of wrist rest are downsides. I've had quite a few cramps in my wrist (especially playing Mortal Kombat on emulators ;D), and they were quite painful. It's a very durable keyboard, but the keys gradually become greasy (even though I never use my PC while eating).

My opinion is to spend the extra $20 and get a Razer Blackwidow. Much better for typing.
That is kind of the point of the mechanical key switch keyboard. The switches are designed to activate before the key bottoms out. Unlike in a membrane keyboard were more often then not it won't activate until the key is pushed all the way down. as the arm rests that is an issue but can easily be solved by either picking up a rest or getting the 7g on which has a wrist rest.

Old May 10, 2011, 12:02 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
That is kind of the point of the mechanical key switch keyboard. The switches are designed to activate before the key bottoms out. Unlike in a membrane keyboard were more often then not it won't activate until the key is pushed all the way down. as the arm rests that is an issue but can easily be solved by either picking up a rest or getting the 7g on which has a wrist rest.
Yeah...I've noticed that on my KB. But, I haven't had problems with it double-typing letters. So far, so good here.
Old May 12, 2011, 05:09 AM
Restricted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
Have you tried a Blackwidow? Because it has a complete different feel to it. Granted they use different switches (6GV2 uses Cherry Black, Blackwidow uses Cherry Blue), it doesn't have the best tactile response. There's no "feel" that you've pressed the button, regardless of how much you've pushed the key in.

That's the point of the mechanical keyboard: the tactile feel and response. The only time you'll know you've pressed the key and it registers is when the key bottoms out.