Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2011, 05:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Mechanical Keyboards Worth the Extra Cost?

I've been considering buying the Razer BlackWidow mechanical keyboard for gaming, and I'd like to know if mechanical keyboards are worth the extra money. Noise is a non-issue since I'm alone most of the time, but I would like my keyboard to last through many years of heavy use.
Old April 23, 2011, 06:45 PM

My System Specs

I think so. Typing on them feel very nice and smooth. and they'll pretty much last forever
Old April 23, 2011, 06:52 PM
Top Prospect

Mechanical keyboards are simply amazing. They fundamentally change the way you use your computer by altering and elevating the most common way you interact with it. I know that description sounds sarcastic but it's not. They are really that good.

That said, if you are considering the BlackWidow for gaming there are two points you should consider: 1) I have heard that the ink/paint on keys is not very durable and will wear out quickly, and 2) the BlackWidow uses MX blue switches; other switches (black or brown) might be better for gaming.
Old April 23, 2011, 07:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Within my budget, it's between the BlackWidow and a Blu-ray reader.
Old April 23, 2011, 09:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

MX cherry blue's are far more popular/likable (in general) not to mention probably the best to get for a "beginner".

One thing to keep in mind: the blackwidow has GLOSS. GLOSS EVERYWHERE. Unless you have a microfiber cloth and some cleaning solution beside your desk at all times you will find it extremely annoying, at least I have with my keyboards (eclipse II and a microsoft kb which both have some glossy-ness). Just think about how much you touch a keyboard/mouse. You're constantly touching it! That means smudge marks and greasy-ness. And if you eat at your keyboard.... may god help you.

a good site if you don't mind buying online and from the US:
elitekeyboards.com - Home
Old April 23, 2011, 09:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

I went from a G15 to a Steelseries 7G, and I must say the crazy price tag of the mechanical keyboard was definitely worth it. I can't stand typing on membrane keyboards now.

Q9550 E0 stepping @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
G.Skill pc2 8500 1066mhz RAM
Corsair TX750 Watt Power Supply
Western Digital 500gb and Seagate 500gb in RAID 0
Western Digital 250gb
Antec 1200
OCZ Vendetta 2 LGA 775 CPU cooler with bolt thru kit
XFX HD5970
Steelseries 7G Mechanical Keyboard
Samsung 305T 30 Inch 2560x1600 LCD monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Speakers, Sennheiser HD215's, G35's
Steelseries Xai Laser Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old April 23, 2011, 10:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i dont know which it is but i have a steelseries stealth and i love it.
and fairly quiet too so the missus doesnt crank at me for typing or gaming to loud.
i think it may be a combination. i know the big space bar is mechanical
Old April 26, 2011, 12:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i have the 6g v2 and it's awesome.

Old April 26, 2011, 01:10 PM
MVP

They're not for everyone, especially those with steel plates which seem polarizing. I prefer as firm a keyboard as possible, so they're alright for me.

Personally, I prefer many mechanical keyboards, but unfortunately it's expensive to get boards with cherry brown, red and clear switches in Canada. Black switches are not ideal for typing IMO and I don't like the clicky blue switches all the time.

There are some very good membrane keyboards like old Keytronics and the old IBM KB-7993 which compare favourably imo.

I'd like to try the ABS M1. They tend to be affordable if you can find one.

ABS M1 Mechanical Keyboard - geekhack forums
Old April 26, 2011, 02:57 PM
Top Prospect

I have the Das Keyboard Ultimate Silent, and it's great. Upgraded from a G15 and I would never go back. It did cost more, and I had to get a wrist pad for best comfort, and it also does get very dusty because of it's piano black finish, but UGHHHH.

Regarding the Razer Blackwidows, I was planning on getting the Ultimate version when I was about to order my Das. I never actually got to try one out, but I have read plenty of bad reviews stating things like stuck keys and keys being pressed together (fixable with a file and some labour, but voids warranty). For mostly those reasons alone, I decided to not go for that kind of risk.
Albeit, the Razer BW Ultimate looks so.. cool..

Regarding switch types, you will probably need to feel them out preferably before buying one. For example, the Steelseries 7g uses Cherry MX Black switches, which feel a lot more like regular rubber membrane keys.

The Das Keyboard Silents use Cherry MX Brown, the Das Keyboard Regulars use Cherry MX Blues.

Anyways, regardless of what reviews will say, the blackwidow is probably great. (Lemon's happen)