Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2011, 05:20 PM
Top Prospect

Okay, okay listen. Do not just go out and buy a mouse that people tell you to get, you will only regret doing so. I've used over 10 mice and I know which mice are the best of the best for gaming.

This coming from a person who plays Counter Strike Source Professionally, take my word for it; the MX518 ($50) is my number 1, then the Steelseries Xai ($80), and lastly the razer deathadder ($50)

The MX518 is by far the best as it is an optical mouse and does not in any was fake its DPI like the deathadder does for example, and on top of that it is VERY consistent.

Trust me when I say this, the XAI is just as good, but the price is well pricy, and lastly the deathadder is the best laser mouse out there but, laser mice are not very good for gaming.

Don't waste your money on a g500, or CM sentinel, they are garbage imo. They dont track consistently enough to be considered good. That is why the deathadder is the only laser mouse id ever reccomend. ALSO with a mouse you'll need a good mousepad. So go pick up a steelseries QCK+, its only like $15 and covers your whole desk.
Old June 4, 2011, 05:23 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Has anyone used the Cooler Master Sentinel Advance or Inferno lately? I saw the review for the Sentinel and I must say it looks very impressive for only $46. However I'm a bit worried about the reliability and the quality itself.
The sentinel was good for a bit, but I mean it doesnt track very well, that cheap twin laser system it uses sucks balls. It also isnt very accurate and fakes the 5600dpi, its really only 1100, and just increases the sensitivity.

Optical mice>Laser Mice
Old June 4, 2011, 10:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
I am finding that my Logitech wireless mouse just isn't cutting it for online gaming , BFBC2, Crysis 2 etc.
just seems to be some lag . I just bought a logitech G110 keyboard and so far I like the feel of it , unfortunatelly I was a joystick kind of guy for years and am not sure about the new gaming mice . Any help and suggestions here would be greatly appreciated .

deathadder or mx518. all others are overpriced eye candy unless ur playing wow or something and need all the buttons like the naga.
Old June 4, 2011, 11:41 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives View Post
Okay, okay listen. Do not just go out and buy a mouse that people tell you to get, you will only regret doing so. I've used over 10 mice and I know which mice are the best of the best for gaming.

This coming from a person who plays Counter Strike Source Professionally, take my word for it; the MX518 ($50) is my number 1, then the Steelseries Xai ($80), and lastly the razer deathadder ($50)

The MX518 is by far the best as it is an optical mouse and does not in any was fake its DPI like the deathadder does for example, and on top of that it is VERY consistent.

Trust me when I say this, the XAI is just as good, but the price is well pricy, and lastly the deathadder is the best laser mouse out there but, laser mice are not very good for gaming.

Don't waste your money on a g500, or CM sentinel, they are garbage imo. They dont track consistently enough to be considered good. That is why the deathadder is the only laser mouse id ever reccomend. ALSO with a mouse you'll need a good mousepad. So go pick up a steelseries QCK+, its only like $15 and covers your whole desk.
Going through seven pages with no Steelseries Xai recommendation almost made me lose faith until someone did. Best mouse ever! Problem is they're hard to find in Canada. Their 6g V.2 and 7G keyboards are also the best. Really expensive though, and does not have any gimmicks such as back-lighting or color schemes.

Second fav of mine is the Razer Naga. I'm sure it was designed by a SC2 freak because having a 1~9 number pad where your thumb is should make micro managing an army of 200 units possible with one hand.

RAT 7 is good as well.

Last edited by Luay79; June 4, 2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old June 5, 2011, 01:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Pretty much what all my l4d nerd friends say. They all use the deathadder because of its accuracy for tracking. I don't know much about the MX518, but the XAI seems to be a wonderful mouse. I also heard lots of CS players love the original microsoft mouse...forget its name.
Old June 5, 2011, 04:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Okay, okay listen. Do not just go out and buy a mouse that people tell you to get, you will only regret doing so.

Quote:
I've used over 10 mice and I know which mice are the best of the best for gaming.
Wait a second, what?
Sorry but that just doesnt make sense to me.

I agree the Xai is a hella nice mouse though and the 518 used both in my time, on others rigs mind you both nice mice.

Myself I always like to try the mouse out for myself , what one person thinks is comfortable does not make it the same for everyone, IMO the best bet is to head out to a retailer and try the fit or better yet try the mouse in question over at a buddies first before buying it.

As always YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old June 5, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Quote:
The sentinel was good for a bit, but I mean it doesnt track very well, that cheap twin laser system it uses sucks balls. It also isnt very accurate and fakes the 5600dpi, its really only 1100, and just increases the sensitivity.

Optical mice>Laser Mice
Fake DPI? What? Not that I'm not trusting you or anything, but do you have any source to back it up? Or any reviews? Because so far, all the reviews on the mouse I'm considering are pretty good. And the Xai is out of my price range so I'm not even going to consider that.

Why are laser not good? Laser is much better than optical is it not?
Old June 5, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

After a little tweaking and weight adjustment, I found that the CM sentinel advance beats my MX518. Mind you, this mouse is larger than the MX518 and is designed for people who palm-grip their mouse. I used World of Tanks as my testing ground for both mice. The only thing I don't like is the black stuff they use for the mice feet. It's not as slick as the clear PTFE stuff that slicksurf uses for it's feet. If I can find some, I'm going to use the spare feet as patterns and make my own.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old June 5, 2011, 01:53 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Fake DPI? What? Not that I'm not trusting you or anything, but do you have any source to back it up? Or any reviews? Because so far, all the reviews on the mouse I'm considering are pretty good. And the Xai is out of my price range so I'm not even going to consider that.<br />
<br />
Why are laser not good? Laser is much better than optical is it not?
<br />
<br />

Trust me if it were a REAL 5600dpi mouse, it would track perfectly, and on top of that it would cost more than 100 bucks.

To the guy who pointed out my contradicting sentences, I meant that he should just rely on a bunch of random people's opinions, but instead focus on people who have a lot of experience with this sort of thing.

The XAI is very hard to find, but you can get one from esea.net, and get it shipped here (takes ages but worth it)

Also, the naga is cool, but its more of a sc2 mouse as you said. I personally dont really like razers products, and I believe they are overrated. Optical is simply better because a lot of the time they will track on any surface with extreme precision.

Also to the guy above me, trust me the CM Sentinel does not at all beat the mx518, it's tracking sucks balls in my opinion. I have it set to 1100dpi, and still the mx518 on 800dpi is smoother. Just goes to show. A lot of CSS players use the deathadder though, but the newest version uses a bad sensor which has a ridiculously high LOD, and so does the sentinel, those mouse feet are essential for it.

Anyways, consider the zowie EC1, both it and the steelseries xai are the best mice around because their Lift off distance is so low, that you dont even need to add mousefeet to it.
Old June 5, 2011, 01:56 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
Going through seven pages with no Steelseries Xai recommendation almost made me lose faith until someone did. Best mouse ever! Problem is they're hard to find in Canada. Their 6g V.2 and 7G keyboards are also the best. Really expensive though, and does not have any gimmicks such as back-lighting or color schemes.

Second fav of mine is the Razer Naga. I'm sure it was designed by a SC2 freak because having a 1~9 number pad where your thumb is should make micro managing an army of 200 units possible with one hand.

RAT 7 is good as well.
Take that last statement back.. unless you've actually tried it you cant say that. Its the most overrated mouse ever. Seriously its like the Macintosh of Mice, it may look good (which i dont even think it does) but its performance is CRAP. I'm sorry but it is worse that some of the wireless mice I've tried. DO NOT even consider buying one of these POSs.