Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26, 2011, 05:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default PCI-X?

NCIX.com - Buy Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 8 Port SATA Card Pcix 64BIT 133MHZ RAID - SuperMicro - AOC-SAT2-MV8 - in Canada

Is PCI-X the largest PCI port on a motherboard? I thought PCI-X just meant PCI-Express and this one would stick in the x16 slot? Can someone help me on this as I'm sorta confused.
Old March 26, 2011, 05:09 PM
MVP

Quote:
PCI-X, short for PCI-eXtended, is a computer bus and expansion card standard that enhances the 32-bit PCI Local Bus for higher bandwidth demanded by servers. It is a double-wide version of PCI, running at up to four times the clock speed, but is otherwise similar in electrical implementation and uses the same protocol.[1] It has itself been replaced in modern designs by the similar-sounding PCI Express, which features a very different logical design, most notably being a "narrow but fast" serial connection instead of a "wide but slow" parallel connection.
PCI-X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not compatible with PCI Express.
Old March 26, 2011, 05:38 PM

My System Specs

PCI-X is a 64-bit PCI slot. PCI-X cards are backwards compatible w/ PCI they just operate at half the bandwidth.
Old March 26, 2011, 08:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
PCI-X is a 64-bit PCI slot. PCI-X cards are backwards compatible w/ PCI they just operate at half the bandwidth.
NCIX.com - Buy Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 8 Port SATA Card Pcix 64BIT 133MHZ RAID - SuperMicro - AOC-SAT2-MV8 - in Canada

So that would work on my normal PCI Slot at %50 bandwidth? if so I think I'll make sure my other card is out of stock for good and I'll buy this :)
Old March 26, 2011, 08:49 PM

My System Specs

In theory it should work. I haven't used PCI-X since ~ 2002 and I know I had a lot of problems getting my Adaptec card working properly.
Old June 11, 2011, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
PCI-X cards are backwards compatible w/ PCI they just operate at half the bandwidth.
They are compatible with regular PCI slots, might function in the regular PCI slots, most of the time they don't. Regular PCI slots are 32bit wide, clocked at 33MHz and transfer max 133MB/s. PCI-X can be up to 64 bit wide, and up to 66MHz in speed and up to 266MB/s for transfer. For proper functioning they need their special PCI-X connectors like those see on older server motherboards. In short , don't bother, they might not work at all.