Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2011, 08:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

For B/W i would definitely go laser. If you do alot of color your pretty much limited to Canon,Epson,HP and Brother for inkjets. I used canon printers for years for color inkjet and never had any issues with them. (it was a sad day when my S500 died :( )

Old March 18, 2011, 09:16 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
not to be rude but .. are you doing it right?
lol. yes, i know how to install an ink cartridge

Maybe it's because I wait like 2 months before replacing the cartridges. I rarely use my printer all that much, so I didn't bother changing the cartridges until I needed to print something. Maybe the print heads are all bunged up inside from dried ink.

Thanks for the help guys :)

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old March 18, 2011, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

if you don't do alot of printing it might be better to get a laser as toner has a much longer shelf life than ink cartridges and print heads. (technically they are called nozzels )

Old March 18, 2011, 09:26 AM
Rookie

If you're okay with black and white, you can't go wrong with a laser printer. The Canon MF4350D goes on sale for $90 at Staples sometimes. Superb AIO with automatic duplex and a 25-page document feeder for scanning (single-sided though).
Old March 18, 2011, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

yup the canons are nice. i went with the samsung unit as it had networking.

Old March 18, 2011, 10:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I bought a Brother HL-3040CN from NCIX for $115 when it was on sale (and had free shipping).
It's a nice printer, has good quality in prints.. can't say much about the life of the toner as it's still new, but they are about $60/cartridge (for 2500 pages)

You can beat that deal for a networked, color laser.

by the way, the problem with inkjets, are the picture fades over time (erases with UV light).. where as laser is perm. image.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old March 29, 2011, 07:56 AM
Rookie

Hi No Pulse... don't know if you already solved your dilemma? But if not, might be worth considering the Samsung ML-1865, very cheap laser which apparently has quality that outdoes itself at a budget level (this review raves about it and gives it an award.... a "frankly superb performance, both in terms of speed and text print quality", no less).
Old May 26, 2011, 03:19 PM
MVP

I know I'm bumping an old thread...but it appears I'm in the market for a new printer now too (have a canon MP240 that has a 4e error that won't clear- looking on troubleshooting its an error with the print cartridges *supposedly non compatible print cartridges, but I've only ever used canon originals*)
combination with scanner would be nice, lowish price would also be nice, windows 7 support is a must
Old May 26, 2011, 03:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've had a Canon MX330 for the last year or so, just replaced it with a MX360. It's cheaper to buy the printer than 2 new ink cartridges. NCIX.com - Buy Canon Pixma MX360 Inkjet Multifunction PRINTER-PHOTO Scanner Fax Copier (4787B003) - Canon - 4787B003 - in Canada
Old May 26, 2011, 04:19 PM
MVP

I had 2 spare cartridges, tried them, and it was still giving the error, I'll give that MX360 a shot though