Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3, 2011, 09:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default What else should I order?

I'm about to place a order for my HTPC within the next 12 hours or so and would like a few more ideas on what my HTPC could use, I have the following in my cart,

Thermaltake Spirit A1000 Aluminum Forged Active Chipset Cooler w/ Blue LED Fan (CLC0051) - FrozenCPU.com

To replace my south bridge heatsink

ThermalTake Cyclo DDR Memory Module Cooler w/ Blue LED (CL-R0023) - FrozenCPU.com

For my ram

FrozenCPU Standard 4-Pin to Quad 3-Pin Adapter Cable (PFP18) - FrozenCPU.com

For the extra fans :)

What else am I missing? This HTPC is going to with a window on top so you can see in and have a nice glow effect. But yea can you guys suggest anything else or am I going overkill on this htpc?

Edit: If you suggest anything please make sure it's from frozencpu. and just anything that would be a neat mod or something cool looking...I was thinking of those light activated cathods, are they nice?

Last edited by Blu; January 3, 2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old January 4, 2011, 12:53 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

How about those flexible LED strips?

Fan filters?

Personally, id order more storage since its an HTPC than bling. BR rips are huuuggeee!

Then again, if you have a server then no need for extra storage for the HTPC.
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old January 4, 2011, 08:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Too much bling for a HTPC IMO. You want it dark and silent.

I surely wouldn't want a bunch of lights shining onto my TV/living room when watching a movie in the dark...

Not sure what hardware you have for this HTPC, but maybe look for silent fans and passive heatsinks?
Old January 4, 2011, 09:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolab View Post
How about those flexible LED strips?

Fan filters?

Personally, id order more storage since its an HTPC than bling. BR rips are huuuggeee!

Then again, if you have a server then no need for extra storage for the HTPC.
I've got 35.5TB of storage right now and I'm adding another twelve to this build so I should be ok on that :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Too much bling for a HTPC IMO. You want it dark and silent.

I surely wouldn't want a bunch of lights shining onto my TV/living room when watching a movie in the dark...

Not sure what hardware you have for this HTPC, but maybe look for silent fans and passive heatsinks?
The HTPC will be under the top stand so there won't be any glare, I still plan on doing a mod to the entertainment stand and mounting alot of LED's to the back of it to shine behind the tv while watching at night.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
The HTPC will be under the top stand so there won't be any glare, I still plan on doing a mod to the entertainment stand and mounting alot of LED's to the back of it to shine behind the tv while watching at night.
Well if that's what you want to do, then I'd avoid putting CCFLs in the HTPC. They are far too bright.

If you're mounting LEDs all over the place, I'd say keep it consistent. So whatever you use behind the TV, use in the case too.

I'd say white is the best choice. Black and white always goes nicely and seems more suited to a HT unit.

Maybe these: NZXT Premium Sleeved Bright LED Kit - 1 Meter - White (CB-LED10-WH) - FrozenCPU.com
Old January 4, 2011, 12:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Well if that's what you want to do, then I'd avoid putting CCFLs in the HTPC. They are far too bright.

If you're mounting LEDs all over the place, I'd say keep it consistent. So whatever you use behind the TV, use in the case too.

I'd say white is the best choice. Black and white always goes nicely and seems more suited to a HT unit.

Maybe these: NZXT Premium Sleeved Bright LED Kit - 1 Meter - White (CB-LED10-WH) - FrozenCPU.com
Sadly I already got everything in blue, I've got 4 of these real nice 10 led blue bars which are meant to be used for laptop lighting but I got usb extension cables to mount them on the back, and I also got two large cathodes for it as well and a bunch of these,
NCIX.com - Buy Logisys 5 LED Laser Light Blue 12V 4 Pin - MDLED5BL In Canada.
Only problem with them is it makes like a large R at the end of the light...I also even got a clock with a blue LED ring I really like the color blue
Old January 4, 2011, 12:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well it sounds like you have enough to light up the whole room

Don't think you really need to buy anything more. Have any pictures of the system currently?

My only other thought would be to get some single-sleeved extensions (in blue) for any cabling. Maybe some blue SATA cables?
Old January 4, 2011, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sleeved LED lights are nice.

We setup a case with a red one at my work and it brightens up the inside pretty well.