Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo

I just built myself an HTPC and I'll need a wireless KB and mouse to go with it.

I really don't know what I should look at, what are you using and how are you liking it?

Thanks

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old January 2, 2011, 01:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm using my MX5500 and it works great for my living room pc. I get no noticeable lag, and the range is good. More than anything I'm really impressed with the battery life. Keyboard uses AAs but the mouse is rechargeable and has its own charger stand. I use it for gaming on my plasma and I only put it on the charger once a week.

Been using this combo for nearly a year. I would recommend getting a half decent mouse pad though, it works on any non-glass surface, but using it on the couch cushions or the end tables seems to make the mouse have problems with accuracy.

Buy Logitech [920-000436] Logitech Cordless Desktop MX5500 Revolution

It's not cheap, but if you check Tiger Direct on occasion they seem to have it on sale for about 115$ every once in a while (which is kind of funny since their prices usually suck)
Old January 2, 2011, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the info :P

I got an cheap offer for the MX5000. I read reviews about problem with the keyboard, but I wont really type an essay with it anyway.

Old January 2, 2011, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If it's for an HTPC; Saitek Eclipse Wireless Litetouch Free shipping on that.
Old January 2, 2011, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would prefer to keep my expense under 100$ :S

Old January 2, 2011, 04:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd avoid the MX5000. It's what I have on my HTPC right now and IMO having a Bluetooth/flaky RF keyboard/mouse is just a bad experience. You'll waste more time making it work then using it Granted it does seem to work a fair bit better with a Belkin Bluetooth adapter rather than the Logitech adapter that came with it.

I'm thinking about getting one of these: Newegg.ca - Lenovo 57Y6336 Black USB RF Wireless Mini Multimedia Remote with keyboard (N5901) but not sure. Reviews aren't too great for it.

A full-size keyboard and mouse is just a bit bulky though in the living room. Typically use my Harmony anyhow, but there's those times that you need a keyboard/mouse every now and then.
Old January 2, 2011, 04:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I finally took the Logitech combo EX100..pm'ed to 30$ + free shipping coupon..so 31,5$ with tax included.

Old January 2, 2011, 05:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Inik, your going to hate the mouse. thats what have right now and while the keyboard isnt too bad, the mouse is straight horrible. I ended up throwing the mouse away since it stopped tracking after 3 months, its that bad, I didnt even want to bother with a rma or anything.

On the keyboard side every so often for some reason or another one of the keys will stick, not the key itself but I guess it gets stuck on the input side. But all in all its not a bad keyboard it works as it should.

On the mouse side, from the start it would some times register a double click when only clicked once or vice versa it was very finicky. The mouse went through 2 AA batteries a month, if your one that buys cheap batteries dont expect them to work more than a couple of weeks. The mouse tracked good for the first couple of months then started getting erratic, I checked the drivers and setpoint everything to no avail and it became unusable.

in the end though I honestly cant complain to much since a got the combo at Target for $15us .
Old January 2, 2011, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have the EX110 and it has been working fine for the past year or so. You just have to make sure you have the dongle in a good position and I find it tracks better on a rougher surface like a mouse pad, and doesn't do too well on smooth surfaces. Although, it does really suck that there is no way to shut the mouse off completely, so yea you do end up going through batteries every 2-3 months using good batteries. Definitely recommend getting some rechargeable batteries for the KB/Mouse.
Old January 5, 2011, 10:32 PM
Rookie

Yeah the Wireless stuff ive seen all have some problems, and they add lag to the already laggy displays. Might be fine playing yourself but you wouldnt want to playing against someone with a wired mouse and CRT on the other end.

Sorry not sure what to offer.