Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2010, 01:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Help me find a usb 3.0 card

I need to find more usb 3.0 addon cards for usb 3.0 ports.
I really want to get the Evga 3.0 card which requires no extra power, I did buy one of these from NCIX but now they seem to be end of lifed. I found two on ebay which I might buy cause the seller seems to of ripped off the UPC's so there stolen or something. If you can help me find a place with them that ships to P.O. Boxes or with USPS/UPS/Puro/Fedex and they must accept paypal, I don't have a credit card or even a prepaid one as the ones here in Mac's (corner store) don't work online. Or even if you can help me find a cheap good usb 3.0 card that is just as good as evga's. I really want one without needing extra power cause that means more cable clutter and makes a mess doesn't it ? We all like our cases clean and tidy right . I already got a usb 3.0 hub but I want to add usb 3.0 ports to my moms soon to be computer and my HTPC has onboard ones but I may need more cause you never know what I'll add to it. So yea thanks in advance for any help, here's the evga card I'm looking for by the way,
EVGA | Products
Old December 30, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The ones that do not have an extra power connector can have troubles providing the full 900ma to both ports. Basically no molex/sata/floppy power connector = not a great long term choice. YMMV.

ALL of the various daughter cards use the same NEC controller so there is ZERO dif in performance (right now, the new FL1000s based ones should be out shortly)...EXCEPT when talking about x1 vs x4 cards (all x1s are the same speed...lower than that of the x4 card). The fastest USB 3.0 card right now is the Asus PCIe x4 based U3S6. All the rest are slower. Which ever one you go with don't bother with the mfg'ers website for the drivers. They are always out of date. I get mine from here:

SONY/NEC firmwares

On the x1 side of things I like SIIG and GB. SIIG makes a card and hub combo that allows you to hook up the 5.25 bay hub via INSIDE cables as it has an internal header (with the second being external). I like GBs as it uses solid state caps. With that being said I have used probably most of the rest and they are all decent; it literally just the extras they have that makes the dif.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 30, 2010, 03:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ok then AKG can you suggest me one that will be the best? With the evga card I tend to get much better speeds then sata2.

Is this the Asus card your talking about?
NCIX.com - Buy ASUS USB3 2 X USB 3.0 Ports PCI-E Expansion Card - PCIE USB3 In Canada.

Let me know if it is and if it is I'll order it. Also are there going to be better usb 3.0 cards coming out just around the corner like your post hints I think? (I may of read it wrong) but do they make that much of a difference?
Old December 30, 2010, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The EVGA ones without a UPC were probably purchased for very cheap after rebate. Tigerdirect had an insane deal where it was free after rebate, and later it was $5 per card after rebate.
Old December 30, 2010, 06:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
The EVGA ones without a UPC were probably purchased for very cheap after rebate. Tigerdirect had an insane deal where it was free after rebate, and later it was $5 per card after rebate.
Aww man...The cheapest I seen them for was $15 after rebate on ncix. :(
Old December 30, 2010, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

PROVANTAGE: MSI STAR-USB3 USB3.0 Addon Card-1XPCIEX4 or 1XPCIEX16 - USB 3.0 SUPERSPEED
Old December 30, 2010, 07:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

^ Shippings $32 man! That's crazy!!! I think I might end up going with the evga one's on ebay. I can get both shipped for like $50 it seems.
Old December 30, 2010, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
^ Shippings $32 man! That's crazy!!! I think I might end up going with the evga one's on ebay. I can get both shipped for like $50 it seems.
Dude come into the store tomorrow we got 2 in stock :D
Old December 30, 2010, 07:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Dude come into the store tomorrow we got 2 in stock :D
How much are they? I actually do need to run into town tomorrow to pick up my meds (I'm in Beaverlodge currently so a 30 min drive :( )
Old December 31, 2010, 05:43 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup the MSI is also very, very good. I would get that if you can get it locally. Its basically the same as the Asus U3S6 but with solid stat caps (and a MSI "warranty"). I dont think NCIX has the U3S6 in stock anymore (the one you linked to wasnt it). :(

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr