Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Peripherals (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/)
-   -   Logitech Illuminated Keyboard - No space and Shift key randomness! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/38361-logitech-illuminated-keyboard-no-space-shift-key-randomness.html)

RichDrummer November 27, 2010 02:30 PM

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard - No space and Shift key randomness!

Hello all,

I bought the logitech illuminated keyboard from Canada Computers refurbished. It has been having this
issue with the shift and spacebar key. At seemingly random times, the shift and space key will just stop working, then also randomly (after some time) it will start working again. Removing power and plugging it back in does not fix the issue - this makes it reasonable to assume that its probably a software/driver issue... unless this keyboard has non-volatile on-board memory and remembers to keep itself messed up lol. The odd thing is that this behavior occurs on both my XP and 7 machines.

Does anyone have any idea why it is behaving this way?

Ps. I gotta be honest, I'd love to pull out a logic analyzer and have a look to see if the spacebar and shift key signals are being sent when the fault occurs (as you can see, I'm not completely convinced its a software issue)...

Thanks for any assistance

Rich

SugarJ November 27, 2010 03:55 PM

It's usually a hardware issue when that happens. And probably why the KB was returned to Logitech in the first place. There will be a problem trace on the keyboard PCB, with intermittent contact. If it's still within warranty, return it.

RichDrummer November 27, 2010 05:44 PM

I think Ive had it for about 6 months... I wonder if its still i warranty. I dont believe any warranty info came with this refurbished item... :(

SugarJ November 27, 2010 06:21 PM

You are SOL. CC has a 15 day return policy, and there is no manufacturer warranty because it is refurbished.

ilya November 27, 2010 07:59 PM

Normally in a situation like this I would just take the keyboard apart and clean the contacts, but yours uses laptop style keys which are a little bit different and harder to put back together. If it really bugs you, I guess you could try it.

KaptCrunch November 27, 2010 11:15 PM

break out the HB pencil and re-trace the grid around where trouble is

take apart follow traces

RichDrummer November 28, 2010 10:56 AM

I can relatively easily remove the keys and clean the traces... but I dont think the issue revolves around a faulty trace/contact. When the issue arises, its always both the shift *and* space keys that stop working. May be an issue with the controller processor...

David Milch November 28, 2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichDrummer (Post 454933)
I can relatively easily remove the keys and clean the traces... but I dont think the issue revolves around a faulty trace/contact. When the issue arises, its always both the shift *and* space keys that stop working. May be an issue with the controller processor...

really? I had to trash mine because I found those scissor keys impossible to put back on.

RichDrummer November 28, 2010 11:18 AM

I removed the space and shift keys already. I think those are a little easier to remove/replace than the letter keys :P

RichDrummer November 28, 2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaptCrunch (Post 454844)
break out the HB pencil and re-trace the grid around where trouble is

take apart follow traces

By the way, what are you referring to when you say "follow" traces?