Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2006, 10:40 PM
Top Prospect

Default Mousepads... worth it?

Anyone have any experience with some of the high-quality mousepads available on the market?

Right now I'm using my trusty 1-st gen Ikea Jerker desk but don't want to run the feet of my MX518 too quickly. I've seen the Icemats, Ratpadz, etc... but haven't been moved to buy one yet - then again, I've never used one :o

So comments, suggestions, feedback, and experience would be really helpful.
Old November 10, 2006, 07:56 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNESCO View Post
Anyone have any experience with some of the high-quality mousepads available on the market?

Right now I'm using my trusty 1-st gen Ikea Jerker desk but don't want to run the feet of my MX518 too quickly. I've seen the Icemats, Ratpadz, etc... but haven't been moved to buy one yet - then again, I've never used one :o

So comments, suggestions, feedback, and experience would be really helpful.
I'm using a S&S Steel Pad at home and a

Name:  Steelpad.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  6.7 KB

Func F-SERIES F10.S Smooth Gaming Surface Mouse Pad at work.

Name:  func.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  5.3 KB

I think I prefer the Func Pad a little more as it has a smoother surface. I'm not much of a gamer so keep in mind that I don't have a really good idea on how well either of these would be for that.
Old November 10, 2006, 03:13 PM
Misoprostol

Being the gamer that I am, and owning the exact same two mouse pads as Gav, I feel like I should offer my input here. I prefer the Steelpad to the func pad for both work and play. I've used generic laser mice, an MX700, and a G7 on both.
Old November 22, 2006, 06:22 PM
Top Prospect

I'll probably pick one up soon just to see what type of difference there is. I guess it's mostly a personal preference. Thanks for the help guys.
Old November 23, 2006, 11:01 PM
Misoprostol

Hey I just got a Razer Precision mousing surface. I think it's pretty nifty even though I don't like cloth as much as some people. I haven't actually tried it for gaming yet, but it's HUGE and I think that's going to be very nice.

Last edited by Gav; November 27, 2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old November 27, 2006, 12:09 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
I haven't actually tried it for gaming yet, but it's HUGE and I think that's going to be very nice.
What do you mean by huge and why would that make it better for gaming? Are you referring to the bigger surface area making it more stable/precise?
Old February 6, 2007, 03:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Since I decided to upgrade just about everything this time around, I purchased the MX-518 like you and this mousepad.

http://www.xtracpads.com/zoom.htm

It is super slick, thin and tracks wonderfully. Easy on the pocketbook as well. I got mine NIB on ebay for 1/2 retail.
Old February 13, 2007, 05:12 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
Since I decided to upgrade just about everything this time around, I purchased the MX-518 like you and this mousepad.

http://www.xtracpads.com/zoom.htm

It is super slick, thin and tracks wonderfully. Easy on the pocketbook as well. I got mine NIB on ebay for 1/2 retail.
I actually owned that mouse pad and realy liked it. A little awkward for lans cause I didn't want to roll it up just in case it wouldn't flatten out enough when unrolled so I actually won the cloth pro version and it is almost as slick and rolls up nicely. Gotta say though your version is smoother, also you can get wax for it to keep it slick. Just my 2cents.
PS: Both pads track flawlessly.
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old February 14, 2007, 10:10 PM
Top Prospect

I love anything fUnc makes... I use the 1030 Archetype primarily. I could never go back to a regular mousepad... even for non-gaming.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.20GHz, ASUS P5K Premium WiFi-AP, OCZ 8GB PC2-6400, EVGA GTX 285 1024MB
Seagate 500GB, 750GB & 1TB, Pioneer 22x ODD, Corsair 1000HX, Thermalright Ultra-120, CM Storm Sniper
Dell 2408WFP 24", ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Ultrasone PRO 750, Gentoo Linux (KDE 4.4, 2.6.32 Kernel)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Profiles: Last.fm | Xbox Live | Steam
Old March 12, 2007, 05:07 PM
Top Prospect

IMO Steelpad S&S is the best mousepad ever. It's relatively big, so you don't have to reposition your mouse, and the texture is perfect for my mouse (MX518).