Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Peripherals (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/)
-   -   Alienware TactX Laser Gaming Mouse Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/peripherals/36831-alienware-tactx-laser-gaming-mouse-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL October 4, 2010 07:31 PM

Alienware TactX Laser Gaming Mouse Review Comment Thread

Back in 2009, Alienware came out with their first series of gaming accessories which continued their tradition of premium priced items but these had high flying performance to back up their cost. Their "TactX" family has seen new members added and in many cases the mice, keyboards and other gaming items under the brand have seen their prices slashed by sometimes dramatic amounts. So, we figured it was high time to take Alienware's TactX out for a spin.

[ Read full article ]

This is a new review format we will be trying for peripheral reviews. Please use the poll above and the comments section below to tell us what you think.

martin_metal_88 October 4, 2010 07:40 PM

Yay! first idiot to love the 1 page mini review!
Nice mouse! I will for sure ( after this review ) take a look at it to replace my G5 that is on her last mile, after so long of good service:(
Nice review here sky! congrat's again!

0o0 October 4, 2010 08:06 PM

hmm I don't think you mentioned that the software this mouse comes with is incompatible with Setpoint...

SKYMTL October 4, 2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0o0 (Post 435851)
hmm I don't think you mentioned that the software this mouse comes with is incompatible with Setpoint...

Why even download Setpoint when the software that comes with it IS setpoint....with a different skin?

aristhrottle October 4, 2010 08:39 PM

HWC usually has great writing - by far the best in tech news. I found this article in need of some editing though.

Aside from a few typos and errors - which I will again add are rare on this site from what I've noticed - what was the deal with the "uneducated masses" comment? Was that meant to derogate people who like Alienware products, or people who like Alienware packaging, or..?

SKYMTL October 4, 2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aristhrottle (Post 435865)
HWC usually has great writing - by far the best in tech news. I found this article in need of some editing though.

Aside from a few typos and errors - which I will again add are rare on this site from what I've noticed - what was the deal with the "uneducated masses" comment? Was that meant to derogate people who like Alienware products, or people who like Alienware packaging, or..?

That should have been edited out. Thanks for brining that up as I realized that certain passages were from the unedited version.

Zero82z October 4, 2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 435825)
Their "TactX" family has seen new members added and in many cases the mice, keyboards and other gaming items under the brand

Huh? New members added? Mice, keyboards, and other gaming items? There have only ever been three different TactX-branded items; the mouse, the keyboard, and the headset.

Anyway, the glaringly obvious problem with this review is that you didn't do anything other than discuss the mouse's software and its physical features. This is a gaming mouse, which is naturally going to be used by people for gaming, and you didn't talk about its gaming performance at all, how well the sensor tracks, if there are issues at different DPI settings, whether or not the mouse is comfortable after long gaming sessions or if it gives you cramping or pain in your hand, etc.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 435856)
Why even download Setpoint when the software that comes with it IS setpoint....with a different skin?

Because some people (like me) might actually want to use this mouse alongside another Logitech mouse or keyboard that requires Setpoint to access its full functionality. I use a Logitech Mediaplay mouse connected to my main rig for media controls, and since Setpoint and the TactX software cannot be installed at the same time, if I want to use my TactX on this machine, I have to sacrifice the ability to use the TactX software. This means I can't edit profiles or DPI settings (the default profile only goes up to 3200DPI but the sensor can actually go up to 5000DPI), I can't customize the buttons, and I can't use the mouse wheel to scroll sideways. For me personally, the lack of those features isn't a problem (I use the mouse set to 1600DPI which is one of the presets, I use the default button layout, I don't care about sideways scrolling, and I don't use different profiles), but for people who do use those types of features, this can be a real problem.

SKYMTL October 4, 2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 435885)
Huh? New members added? Mice, keyboards, and other gaming items? There have only ever been three different TactX-branded items; the mouse, the keyboard, and the headset.

Actually, for a short time in 2000 and again in 2002, Alienware released peripherals. Back at my parent's house, I still have an old Alienware mouse stored in a box somewhere. They will also be releasing new products in this line VERY....VERY soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 435885)
Anyway, the glaringly obvious problem with this review is that you didn't do anything other than discuss the mouse's software and its physical features. This is a gaming mouse, which is naturally going to be used by people for gaming, and you didn't talk about its gaming performance at all, how well the sensor tracks, if there are issues at different DPI settings, whether or not the mouse is comfortable after long gaming sessions or if it gives you cramping or pain in your hand, etc.

I try not to discuss things that may very well be determined by aspects outside of my control.

Cramping: This is highly dependent on how th mouse is held and someone's preference towards a peripheral's ergonomics. I am a palmer but if I try to grip a mouse in a more claw-like fashion, I tend to cramp up. Some people may experience the opposite.

Sensor Tracking: Granted, more could have been discussed about this. My mistake. However, this also has a lot to do with the type of pad used I find. For the record (since I don't want to add anything to an already-published review), this mouse tracked well across both sides of a Func Industries 1030.

I am glad for the feedback since I will be the first to admit that this was more of a "trial" review for this format. This is why I decided to use an item I bought.

Zero82z October 4, 2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 435891)
Actually, for a short time in 2000 and again in 2002, Alienware released peripherals. Back at my parent's house, I still have an old Alienware mouse stored in a box somewhere. They will also be releasing new products in this line VERY....VERY soon.

I'm aware that Alienware had branded peripherals in the past, but as far as the TactX line is concerned, those are the only three products that have been released as of yet.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 435891)
I try not to discuss things that may very well be determined by aspects outside of my control.

Cramping: This is highly dependent on how th mouse is held and someone's preference towards a peripheral's ergonomics. I am a palmer but if I try to grip a mouse in a more claw-like fashion, I tend to cramp up. Some people may experience the opposite.

Sensor Tracking: Granted, more could have been discussed about this. My mistake. However, this also has a lot to do with the type of pad used I find. For the record (since I don't want to add anything to an already-published review), this mouse tracked well across both sides of a Func Industries 1030.

I am glad for the feedback since I will be the first to admit that this was more of a "trial" review for this format. This is why I decided to use an item I bought.

Naturally it isn't possible to cover all the possibilities with a peripheral review due to different peoples' physical characteristics and their personal preferences, but it's better to give your own opinion and experiences about these aspects rather than to say nothing about them at all.

When I'm trying to pick a mouse, the most important things to me are how comfortable the shape is and what it's like to actually use the mouse. Case in point: I bought a Coolermaster Storm Sentinel Advance based on AkG's review. However, the two issues I had with the mouse that were severe enough for me to stop using it were things that he didn't mention at all in his review. If you do a little research, you can quickly find many examples of people having issues with the particular sensor used in that mouse. How many reviews did I read that discussed the sensor issues? None. These are the kinds of things that are very important to people who are actually using their mice, but most reviews either don't touch on them at all or only look at them briefly. These are the kinds of things that I would like to see in future reviews here.

Cptn Vortex October 5, 2010 12:05 AM

Been eyeing this mouse for a while, but a friend got, it and I got my hands on it, and its just a tad too small for me. Will stick with my Ikari for the time being....

That being said, I agree with your comments SKYMTL about alienware recently. I am most definitely going to be getting a m11x in the near future. Pretty much the perfect notebook for me!!