Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2010, 07:37 AM
Rookie

Default CoolerMaster Sentinel

Has anyone used this gaming mouse. Sounds like a good option and has been reviewed well. I was also considering a Logi 518. Can anyone offer a comparison with opinions on this?

Cheers!
Old September 27, 2010, 02:17 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I did try it. I liked it, but I think it's not a mouse for someone with big hands. It's accurate, fast, and a lot of cool options for the price. But I don't know about long term use reliability.
Old September 27, 2010, 06:56 PM
Rookie

Chiming in as a long time Logitech user and now the owner of a Sentinel.

The Good:

-Looks nice
-Very high DPI and polling rates, the package does not lie
-Fully configurable up, down, and sideways
-Nice crisp buttons and accurate scroll wheel (really feels nearly perfect)
-Good build quality
-Very comfortable
-Solid drivers out of the box

The Bad:

-Flaky software package under Windows 7 generally unintuitive UI
-Driver/ software updates provided in .iso format
-Iffy customer support? I've never dealt with cooler Master

I've had the Sentinel Since November 2009, and aside from the flakiness I really have nothing bad to say about it. Even with the flakiness of the software, unless you are a compulsive tweaker, you can really just set it and forget it.
Old September 27, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

As someone who has owned both Id take the CM. The 518 is good the Sentinel is better. CM has GREAT customer support.

Though IF I was in the market for a new mouse....Id look long and hard at the new logi G700. I got one and I love it.

YMMV but G700>CM>518

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 28, 2010, 07:13 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice!

The G700 looks great but the price point is far too high for me! Sentinel it is.

Also, Behemoth, I've read on other reviews that it tends to be considered a larger mouse... you must have big hands haha.
Old September 28, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Before you purchase that you should take a look at this thread and pay attention to the 3 links on the third post from the top.

link

apparently the sentinel uses this sensor and its a real problem for alot of people.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old September 29, 2010, 09:47 AM
Rookie

Regarding tzetsin remarks:

I really appreciate you informing me about this. I actually spoke with CM to find out how prevelant this issue has been with their customers. They informed me that they have only had 1 return for this reason, all other support issues have related to the LED.

Presumably this has not had a major affect on owners of the mouse if any at all. I'm going to take my chances, I dont think I will be raising my mouse 2 inches off my mousepad over and over very often like the tard in that video haha.
Old September 29, 2010, 06:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I'm the one who brought those issues to Tzetsin's attention. I own the Sentinel Advance, and while I really like some of the features, the sensor issues were a real dealbreaker. Regarding the cursor jumping issue, the mouse doesn't have to be raised very much at all. Simply picking it up to reposition it will trigger the problem. There is also another issue with some mousepad surfaces that causes the sensor to become unresponsive for a short while after the mouse is lifted, but I never experienced that.

The biggest issue I had was actually that the mouse was slightly unstable and didn't sit flat on my pad, so rapidly clicking one of the buttons would cause the cursor to jitter around a bit. That made it extremely annoying when I was gaming and trying to aim at a small target, or even in general use when I tried to click on something small. I ended up buying an Alienware TactX mouse on sale for $40, and I found that to be a much better mouse. I also bought a Logitech G500, which uses the same sensor as the TactX but has a different shape, and I find that it fits my hand much better, but for gaming I can aim a little easier with the TactX. Right now I'm experimenting with using the G500 for general use and the TactX for gaming, and it's working pretty well for me so far.

As far as a specific recommendation, I would recommend the TactX, G500, or G9x depending on pricing and how you like to hold your mice. If you use a palm grip (which I would surmise based on the fact that you now have an MX518), you'll probably like the G500 the most. I personally use a palm grip and I find it to be the most comfortable mouse I've ever used, even more so than the MX500/700/900/510/518/etc. shape. The Sentinel Advance is also designed for a palm grip, but I find that it's a bit too small for my liking and doesn't fit my hand perfectly, which the G500 does.

If on the other hand you like to use a claw grip (meaning that your palm floats above the mouse and you hold it with your fingers), the TactX or G9x would be the best option. The two mice are nearly identical, with the differences being that the TactX doesn't have customizable grips or weight and it has a slightly different body shape. I don't have much experience using the G9 or G9x, but what I hear from other people is that the TactX is more comfortable than either of the default grips that come with the Logitech-branded mice. The real issue is that the TactX is sold for $100. If you wait, you'll probably be able to snag it for $40 or $50 on sale at some point, but if you want something right away, then you'd be better off getting the G9x since it's typically sold for a much lower price.

Quick summary: Don't get the Sentinel. If you use a palm grip, go G500, and if you use a claw grip, get a G9x or TactX depending on what the prices are at the time you make a purchase.

If you have any questions, feel free to fire away. I have all three mice with me so I can probably tell you anything you'd like to know.
Old September 30, 2010, 04:56 AM
Rookie

That recommendation is pretty serious, I have many things to consider now!

I was really trying to stay around the $50 price point for this mouse, so I guess I'm looking for the best gaming mouse option around 50 bones... perhaps that's what I should have made as the post.
Old October 15, 2010, 09:41 AM
Rookie

I have the CM Sentinel. I am a victim of the horrible lift off and tracking issues. The Phillips Twin Eye sensor often proves problematic in these areas. I have tried 2 White Ceramic tiles, a white and black Steel Series I2, a Steel Series QCK and a Steel Series 4HD mousepad with it...none of which solve the problems.

As an aside, I also have the R.A.T. 7 which has the same sensor, and it has the same issues but to a lesser extent. As for mice, I have these: Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Steel Series Ikari (2), Logitech mx518, G5v2, G500, G9, G9x, CM Sentinel and the MadCatz R.A.T. 7. The most comfortable and best all around for me is the Ikari, with the Deathadder coming very close in second.

Additionally, Canada Computers often has refurb G9s and G500s. For around 39.99.