Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2010, 07:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default DeathAdder problem

Recently I have been having issues with my deathadder where the mouse will seem to double click during a single click. The issue is more pronounced during long clicks (holding the mouse down to highlight text or units in an RTS for example).

So of course I did some some searching and found I am not alone in this. Unfortunately it seems most people solved the problem by sending their mouse back, which I can't do since I am 3 months past the 2 year warranty limit (that and I punctured a hole through the information sticker on the underside of the mouse to get at the screw). Razer lists on their site that updating the firmware could fix the problem, but obviously it has not.

Upon further 'studying' how it occurs I think it isn't so much the mouse double clicking but that the click gets interrupted then comes back since the problem mostly occurs while holding the mouse button down. So I opened up the mouse to see if I could get at the click 'mechanism.' Unfortunately the mouse shell is 3 parts and not 2 that I thought, and it seems like the rubbery shell portion is held down by more than what I can see. I would have to get behind the circuit board but it isn't so much screwed in as anchored in so it is a one way trip.

Anyways to the point of my thread; has anyone had such a problem a found a solution not already mentioned that solved the problem? Also for any long time Razer users (or other gaming mice really) is this a common issue for all the mice?

If not I will be in the market for a new mouse so I would be open to suggestions to a new mouse (60 and under ideally), though I have no qualms going with the new deathadder as long is it also doesn't suffer from this problem.
Old August 14, 2010, 08:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I had this issue with the mouse5 button on mine. I just bought the 3500DPI model though instead (had the 1800DPI). Has been problem free so far...
Old August 14, 2010, 08:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Issues like this are usually caused by the actual microswitch being faulty, so if that's the case then there's nothing you can do unless you are able to replace it. However, it's still worth trying to open it up to see if there's anything you can do about it. I don't have a Deathadder so I can't help you with that part, but I'm sure you could figure it out.

As far as getting a new mouse, I was recently in the market for a new gaming mouse so I can share my opinions on the Alienware TactX mouse and the Coolermaster Storm Sentinel Advance, which are the two mice I tried. The Sentinel Advance is very comfortable if you use a palm grip as I do, and the LCD is actually quite useful since you can set custom DPI levels and modify profiles on the mouse without having to mess around with software. The precision of the sensor is very good as well. The biggest downside for most people is that it uses the Phillips Twin-eye sensor, which has an issue that causes the cursor to jump down and to the left every time you pick up the mouse and put it down. I didn't find it to be much of a problem, but it really bothers some people so it's something to keep in mind. Another problem is that I find the mouse to be slightly unstable. Rapidly clicking the mouse buttons causes the cursor to jump around a bit depending on how firmly you're holding the mouse. This can get annoying, though having a flatter mousing surface helps.

The TactX is more designed for a claw grip, so it's not as comfortable for me. I am getting used to it though, and it doesn't really bother me after about a week and a half of using it. Although the Sentinel Advance tracks very well, I find the TactX to be noticeably better. It also glides more easily (I tried removing all of the weights from the Sentinel Advance to make it lighter than the TactX and then comparing them, but the TactX was still smoother). The build quality of the mouse is excellent and all of the buttons have just the right feel and the right amount of resistance, except for the mouse wheel. It uses the style Logitech first had back with the MX Revolution, which allows it to switch between a normal incremented wheel and a freewheel with no resistance. However, this gives the middle button a lot of resistance, and also makes the wheel rotate a little too easily when in normal mode (in my opinion). However, that's just another thing that takes time to get used to. A big problem with this mouse is that the driver software cannot be installed at the same time as Logitech Setpoint, so if you depend on Setpoint for a keyboard or something then you won't be able to customize the mouse profiles or use horizontal scrolling. However, I don't really need the software for anything so I just don't use it.

So basically, I prefer the TactX. It has a few flaws, but overall I think it's a better mouse than the Sentinel. The problem is really the price. I bought the TactX when it was on sale for $40 from Dell, but the regular price is $100 and I certainly wouldn't pay that. On the other hand, you can find the Sentinel Advance for around 40 bucks at a few different online retailers. I got mine at NCIX after pricematching it at BestDirect. If you don't want to spend a ton of cash then the Sentinel would be an easier choice, though if you're lucky you may be able to find someone on RFD or something who bought a TactX during the sale and decided to sell it off afterward. There are also other mice that I haven't tried. A few of the ones I'd look at if I were you would be the Steelseries Ikari, Logitech G500, Microsoft Sidewinder, and Gigabyte M8000X. Of course, the prices for those will vary. My personal choice out of the above would be the G500. Logitech is also releasing the wireless G700 which looks like it has a better shape, but it's also going to be over $100 and I don't think that's worth it by a long shot.

As far as Razer mice go, I wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole. I have heard many stories about reliability and driver issues and I don't trust their gear to last very long. Plus, their laser mice also use the Twin-eye sensor which has the issue I described above with the Sentinel Advance.

Edit: The TactX is actually on sale again at Dell, though for $50 this time. It's also worth noting that it's identical internally to the G9x though the shape is different.

Last edited by Zero82z; August 14, 2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old August 14, 2010, 09:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

@jdrom17 yeah I have the 1800 dpi version, my brother has the new 3500 one but he hasn't had it for long.

@Zero yeah I have a feeling it is something hardware related, and the microswitch definitely sounds like it could be the culprit. I was actually looking at mice at NCIX earlier today and saw the sentinel and read it had the same problem as one of the Razer mice (Imperator I believe) with the down-right movement when you lift and place it back on the surface which could be problematic. I seem to be a palm grip type, with maybe a hint of claw grip.

I'll definitely check out the TactX and the other mice you mentioned and start keeping my eyes peeled for sales/deals.
Old August 14, 2010, 09:55 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
I was actually looking at mice at NCIX earlier today and saw the sentinel and read it had the same problem as one of the Razer mice (Imperator I believe) with the down-right movement when you lift and place it back on the surface which could be problematic.
Like I said, all of Razer's laser mice use the same sensor that has the issue. It's not just the Imperator.
Old August 14, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Like I said, all of Razer's laser mice use the same sensor that has the issue. It's not just the Imperator.
Supposedly there is going to be some sort of firmware fix for it, supposedly. But if I do go back with Razer it will be the DeathAdder which isn't laser.
Old August 15, 2010, 01:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well I happened to be at Best Buy today since my dad was looking for a scanner, ended up buying the G500 since it was 69.99, a slightly different feel than the DeathAdder on the pinky side. Thumb buttons may take some getting used to since there is a third one, the scroll wheel is a little different too. The weights, for the time being, are sitting off to the side since the G500 'empty' weighs more or less the same as the deathadder.

Going from 1800 to 5700 DPI was a bit of a shock, so I am sticking to 3000 or so for now.

It's nice to be able to left click and highlight stuff without worrying about other things happening.