Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2010, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Alienware TactX Mouse

Has anybody used this before? I know the internals are identical to a G9X, which I already own, but it's the weight/shape I'm more interested in.

I like my mice really heavy and really hefty, the G9X was the only thing I could find that was wide enough for my hand, problem is it's too short. It's also one of the few mice that's almost heavy enough. I thought about getting the G500, but I claw my mouse a lot and from my experience with the G5/MX518, it wouldn't be wide enough and it wouldn't match my grip.
Dell doesn't have any dimensional or weight specs on their mouse which sucks.

Dell has it on sale for $39 right now, pretty good deal. Along with the TactX keyboard which is a reskinned G15.

Link: Hot Deals - PC & Console Gaming
Old August 3, 2010, 01:29 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I have one. Bought it last week when Dell had it on sale for one day. To be honest, I think this mouse is borderline perfect. It feels great, it tracks incredibly well, it glides smoothly, and the weight is just right. The one thing I don't like about it is that I like to use a palm grip and it's a bit too small to be perfectly comfortable, but if you use a claw grip then that won't be a problem at all for you. Downsides compared to the G9x? The weight and grip are both fixed. The only other general downside I would say is the scroll wheel. It works pretty well, but when not in flywheel I find that it spins a bit too easily so you may trigger it accidentally, and it is also quite difficult to middle click. Probably something I'll get used to though.

Another issue you should be aware of is that you cannot have the Alienware TactX software and Logitech's Setpoint software installed at the same time, so if you happen to own a Logitech keyboard and you want to get this mouse, you'll only be able to use the software for one at a time. The best way to get around this is just to install the mouse software, get all your profiles set up the way you like them, and then uninstall it.

As far as the TactX keyboard goes, the G15 is great, but there's no way in hell that I would pay $70 for one without the LCD.
Old August 3, 2010, 01:31 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The mouse is great from my experience. The keyboard? I'm with Zero on this one: $70 even on sale without an LCD is a serious rip-off.
Old August 3, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Mouse is great here to. And at that price, pull the trigger on it!!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 3, 2010, 03:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I love my tactx mouse. I think its a great palm mouse, but i know that zero has gorilla hands, so take it with a grain of salt when he says palming isnt comfortable. It is for me.

Old August 4, 2010, 03:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technokat View Post
I love my tactx mouse. I think its a great palm mouse, but i know that zero has gorilla hands, so take it with a grain of salt when he says palming isnt comfortable. It is for me.
I agree with Technokat. I've got one and it's near perfect!
Old August 5, 2010, 12:47 AM
MVP

I do have to say though, the G15 isnt USB 2.0 and cant change colour. I would still take a G15 but it isnt all bad for the alienware one.
Old August 23, 2010, 02:15 PM
Rookie

I also ordered mine when it was on sale, but I have to say that the mouse is pretty small compared to the MX-518 or the G500. It works so well ...

I use it at the office in replacement of an OCZ Behemoth, of all things ...
Old August 23, 2010, 02:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It's on sale again, but $49.99 now instead. I'm tempted to pull the trigger since I really don't like the Dell laser mouse I have right now.
Old August 23, 2010, 05:01 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt View Post
It's on sale again, but $49.99 now instead. I'm tempted to pull the trigger since I really don't like the Dell laser mouse I have right now.
I'd say it's still worth $50.